Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
New run shocks are just starting to break in now and they just seem to fly straighter for longer periods of time before the LSS fade kicks in, im liking them more.. they still don't turn is what i like, they just hold straight longer no matter how hard i throw them.

the courses around here are heavily wooded so i smack a lot of trees when i play, it beats the shocks in quickly
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
New run shocks are just starting to break in now and they just seem to fly straighter for longer periods of time before the LSS fade kicks in, im liking them more.. they still don't turn is what i like, they just hold straight longer no matter how hard i throw them.

the courses around here are heavily wooded so i smack a lot of trees when i play, it beats the shocks in quickly
In like two years we'll all realize that you can cycle shocks to cover pretty much all the FD lines. Brand new-used-beat in-brand new FR-beat in flip-master FR

I think that would probably cover every line, hah.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHFH
I have to say that I love how this disc laughs at headwinds. I threw it in a headwind today and it just went straight longer and went straight into the basket. It was my second ace with an MVP disc.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

It's odd to me that people are talking about beating in MVP drivers. I drove one of my Amps into a brick wall repeatedly at full speed for about 15 minutes one day, trying to make it into a roller disc. There was no visible wear, and it still flies like my other Amps.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember2morrow View Post
It's odd to me that people are talking about beating in MVP drivers. I drove one of my Amps into a brick wall repeatedly at full speed for about 15 minutes one day, trying to make it into a roller disc. There was no visible wear, and it still flies like my other Amps.
I know right? even though the disc has hit about 30 trees, has some road rash on the oversold, scuffing, etc. It still flies like it is brand new.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

most of the time people talk about premium plastic stuff i assume they just learned the disc.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Their drivers take a while to season, but I've beat up some Volts and new Shocks just enough to start seeing more glide and a later fade. Its not a huge change and doesn't really show itself under 375' of D.

Either way Volts and Shocks behave a lot differently at 400-450' than 300'. A lot of people talk about their Volts being TB style flights, and I see that when some of my buddies throw them, but they have turn for me for sure. same deal with the Shock, I've seen some of my buddies make it fly like my XXX, but I can keep one 100% straight for 400' before it thinks about fading with a flat release. It's still extremely reliable at those distances, even into wind. MVP absolutely nailed the OS slots with this driver and the Tensor.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Their drivers take a while to season, but I've beat up some Volts and new Shocks just enough to start seeing more glide and a later fade. Its not a huge change and doesn't really show itself under 375' of D.

Either way Volts and Shocks behave a lot differently at 400-450' than 300'. A lot of people talk about their Volts being TB style flights, and I see that when some of my buddies throw them, but they have turn for me for sure. same deal with the Shock, I've seen some of my buddies make it fly like my XXX, but I can keep one 100% straight for 400' before it thinks about fading with a flat release. It's still extremely reliable at those distances, even into wind. MVP absolutely nailed the OS slots with this driver and the Tensor.
So much truth here. The Volt has never been like a Teebird to me. More like a longer TL. I here people comparing the new Shocks to Firebirds, but I don't see that at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

They definitely break in, and it's easier to notice the difference in the drivers due to their sensitivity to PLH changes (which is why they had trouble with the drivers initially). Best example is my first edition Shock...When I first got it there was some stability there. It had some turn, but still seemed more overstable than most my Volts. After bagging it for a couple of weeks and getting some hard hits it now has Amp HSS. Also, my stormtrooper Amp started out as stable as a Volt, but it has worn in to understable faster than Volts I have that started the same stability.

Drivers want to behave according to their shape(either mold shape or with extreme high or low PLH), but for some reasons sometimes new discs have added overstability that does not last as long as if it were truly an overstable disc. I prefer fairly neutral distance drivers, so that leaves me needing to disc up in the wind. I don't usually like adding a mold just to fly straight in the wind, so usually I've found an unusually overstable freak disc of the same mold as my primary D driver. No matter what the manufacturer or mold, I always have to protect my "overstable" stable distance driver because it only takes a good hit or two to have the disc acting more like it's non-freak brethren. I used to attribute this to flash, but it has happened multiple times with discs I deflashed before the first throw. This is of course my own experiential conjecture.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 53
As far as I have seen the new run of shocks hasn't came in the 160s. Anyone have or know of a retailer with from lighter shocks?