Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 211
Throwing Style: RHBH
Best basket for your buck

I'm working with a guy who wants me to help him design a pay to play course on his property. Baskets are expensive at $300 each and coming up with funds could take a while even if we do fundraisers. It might be tough to find sponsors since the land is so far out of the way. So I wanted to see if there are any other cost effective baskets out there.

I was looking around and noticed the Discatcher Sport has 18 chains and is galvanized. It looks like it just needs a ring welded to the top so more chains can be added and a way to secure it to the ground and you've got a good, cost effective basket.

Does the outer ring of 18 chains make it not catch well even if chains are added? Quality doesn't come cheap and cheap doesn't make for a good course so maybe this is a bad idea. I wanted to get the others thoughts and opinions of others with experience here.

What's the best basket for your buck?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
All the new courses that seem to be put in around here are getting Innova Discatcher Pros. I imagine they're the current lowest bidder for a Championship level basket.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post

I was looking around and noticed the Discatcher Sport has 18 chains and is galvanized. It looks like it just needs a ring welded to the top so more chains can be added and a way to secure it to the ground and you've got a good, cost effective basket.

Does the outer ring of 18 chains make it not catch well even if chains are added? Quality doesn't come cheap and cheap doesn't make for a good course so maybe this is a bad idea. I wanted to get the others thoughts and opinions of others with experience here.

What's the best basket for your buck?
I have a Discatcher Sport and it catches fine with no chains added. I even think it catches better than the Chainstars at the local course. They won't be as durable as a $400 basket, but if your course is pay-to-play then you shouldn't have as many chuckers out there messing with them.

You should also take a look at the DGA Mach II.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 213
Did you look at my best portable basket thread?

I think you need to look at DB-5 and the disc nation baskets.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
The discnation baskets are lower cost and still look and catch great.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 211
Are you guys talking about the disc nation freedom 16? The liberty 24 at $280 is only like $20 cheaper than what we can get from Innova unless it's cheaper to buy in bulk. Although that is still a bit of money when you're looking at 18 or 19 of them.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Keep an eye out for specials, every once in a while DiscNation does big discounts and you can get a decent percentage off that price.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Keep an eye out for specials, every once in a while DiscNation does big discounts and you can get a decent percentage off that price.
Christmas time this year was awesome for that.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
If you are designing a pay to play course, i would not be happy to see brand new low tier baskets. Unless the course itself is AMAZING. Just my $.02. But the Innova Disc Catcher pro, or equivalent by Arachnid, Disc craft, etc would be great. I understand 18 baskets can be a lot, but it just seems like for a pay to play it'd be a waste of money to buy a cheap basket, and then later on want to update it and end up spending more. I have a Disc Catcher sport, and although it is a nice practice basket. I wouldn't really want it as my permanent course baskets.

I think you would be best served to at least choose a championship basket from this list. That is at least what I would do. (Disc Nation Liberty is ~$300 each so about halfway between Disc Catcher Sport and Pro)

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ets_011513.pdf

Also, Do any of the basket manufacturers have discount programs? It seems like buying 18 at once would be a huge benefit to them, and they might be able to cut deals? I don't know.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 47
Agree with wake911 - If the course is pay to play it should be something good and something that the owner would want to get exposure via holding tournaments. Only use PDGA approved championship level baskets.