Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHFH
Wink Vacaville to Ukiah - 01/24/2013

I'm planning on doing a little road trip from Vacaville to Ukiah next Thursday the 24th, returning Saturday evening or Sunday. Playing courses I haven't played before; here's the list:

Lagoon Valley
National/Johnson Field (going to try to get on; any help would be great )
Lucchesi Park
Crane Creek
Lake Sonoma
Cloverdale-KOA Campground
Highland Springs Reservoir
Clear Lake High School
Lake Mendocino (North and South)
KOA Campground in Willits
Mendocino College
Low Gap Park
Possibly: College Of The Redwoods & Mendocino High School

Leaving from Sacramento early Thursday morning. If anyone wants to join me or meet me at any of the parks let me know!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 612
Go up to arcata buddy, get hold of humchris and tear that **** up.. Redwood Curtain is a very unique course. But then if yout goin to arcata might as well hit up oregon.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Birdie Member

oh and pretty much all the course around UKIAH are solid. highland springs is best, then south lake mendo, low gap, north lake, mendo college
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Birdie Member

Also did you notice that the Ice Bowl is this weekend (26th) at highland spring. You plan on playing in it???
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Bogey Member

I'll be making a trip up to Oregon once the weather is a little better and planned on playing the rest of the Humboldt courses on that trip. Planning to play Highland Springs on Friday and not playing in the Ice Bowl.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Good time of year to play Lagoon. A little extra goose poop this time of year though, but only around the fron seven. If it's windy, then the course will play tough, but if not? It's just a solid "OK" course. If you don't know it yet. Get a map in the main lobby area at Lecchesi park. They switched the course around and you really need that map to figure out the 18 hole set up. The big bummer with this course is a CRAZY amount of goose poop! bring a few towels.....yuck lol!
Have a great time on your trip!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the heads up on the goose poop. I'll be sure to bring extra towels and an extra pair of shoes as well!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 38
I would double check on the KOA in Cloverdale. I thought the course was pulled? Wish I could meet up with ya, but I'm headed up to sac to play some of your courses!

Have a fun trip!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 25
Play Lagoon Valley early so the wind isn't a problem. I'd just go ahead and skip Lecchesi and Clear Lake High.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 498
Ok so lagoon valley is easy to navigate and no problem, if the park isnt open when u get there I would park somewhere by the road just outside the park by hole 6. The GPS coordinates on DGCR are a little off. Can be confusing and when I got there the gates were closed and I walked in. National needs an ID or help but it has a map, take it. Lecchessi park is ok and a quick course with the map. Crane creek will take an hour and pay to park. No map needed, easy layout. Cloverdale has like 4 baskets but will be getting a redesign in the late spring/ early summer I hear. Lake Sonoma is easy to follow just know holes 7-8 have a gap and walk inbetween.

Have u played Anderson valley brewing company?

When I went into Ukiah I played Low gap, no map needed and a solid course, Mendocino college, take a map and once u get going its not bad to follow, longer course. South Mendocino lake is easy to follow and challenging, some blind shots. North Mendocino lake is shorter but pretty challenging in the middle, get can be a grinder, from hear its only 20 minutes to Willits which I really liked and easy to follow since its redesign of the first few holes. From hear its like less then an hour to clear lake high school which was tough to navigate all 9 holes, I only found like 8 baskets and 6-7 tee signs. Weird layout I didn't understand. The gem is Highland Springs Which has 6 teepads per hole and a million basket placements. Love this course and its top ten in the state in my opinion. No map needed.

Fort Bragg is a nice course and will only take 40 minutes to play, no map needed, the Mendecino High school course needs a map, it gets tough to follow somewhere after hole 9. I think 1-2 tee signs are missing which can throw u for a loop, plus the map will get you to throw to the right baskets which can be a problem on a few holes. If you play those two u should play Manchester beach too. There all along the coast and easy to find. I played every course I mentioned but two ( cloverdale & lecchessi) over two days with another guy last summer and it was great. A few courses really let you soak it in and are amazing. Good times for sure.

I would play arcata in the spring and summer and then head up to crescent city and play those aswell before going into Oregon.