Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHFH
lion, thanks a ton for the detailed info. BTW, I'm really loving the pinnacle rampage and I've already gotten a lot of comments on the shirts... Thanks again my friend. So I'll be arriving at Lagoon Valley around 7AM tomorrow, so thanks for the heads up on parking. I'm going to try what elton807 stated he did in his review at National/Johnson field at Travis AFB, in just arriving at the visitors center, and simply asking if a civilian like myself could play the disc golf course. I will dress clean and see what happens; worse come to worse they tell me no. And yes, I have played AVBC, once, but I am playing it again on this road trip. I have a friend in the Ukiah area and he is going to meet me there Friday afternoon for a round or two and definitely some tasty AVBC brews. I'm camping at the Mendo co. fairgrounds right down the road so I'll be within walking distance . Saturday I'll be hitting up Low Gap, Lake Mendo N&S, and Clear Lake HS (was going to play that earlier in my trip but would have run into issues with school times), before returning back to Sac. Then on Tuesday I'm starting my Redding trip:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtr...=9302&tid=1921
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
Ok so lagoon valley is easy to navigate and no problem, if the park isnt open when u get there I would park somewhere by the road just outside the park by hole 6. The GPS coordinates on DGCR are a little off. Can be confusing and when I got there the gates were closed and I walked in. National needs an ID or help but it has a map, take it. Lecchessi park is ok and a quick course with the map. Crane creek will take an hour and pay to park. No map needed, easy layout. Cloverdale has like 4 baskets but will be getting a redesign in the late spring/ early summer I hear. Lake Sonoma is easy to follow just know holes 7-8 have a gap and walk inbetween.

Have u played Anderson valley brewing company?

When I went into Ukiah I played Low gap, no map needed and a solid course, Mendocino college, take a map and once u get going its not bad to follow, longer course. South Mendocino lake is easy to follow and challenging, some blind shots. North Mendocino lake is shorter but pretty challenging in the middle, get can be a grinder, from hear its only 20 minutes to Willits which I really liked and easy to follow since its redesign of the first few holes. From hear its like less then an hour to clear lake high school which was tough to navigate all 9 holes, I only found like 8 baskets and 6-7 tee signs. Weird layout I didn't understand. The gem is Highland Springs Which has 6 teepads per hole and a million basket placements. Love this course and its top ten in the state in my opinion. No map needed.

Fort Bragg is a nice course and will only take 40 minutes to play, no map needed, the Mendecino High school course needs a map, it gets tough to follow somewhere after hole 9. I think 1-2 tee signs are missing which can throw u for a loop, plus the map will get you to throw to the right baskets which can be a problem on a few holes. If you play those two u should play Manchester beach too. There all along the coast and easy to find. I played every course I mentioned but two ( cloverdale & lecchessi) over two days with another guy last summer and it was great. A few courses really let you soak it in and are amazing. Good times for sure.

I would play arcata in the spring and summer and then head up to crescent city and play those aswell before going into Oregon.
I'm planning to play the Humboldt area up through Grants Pass and back down to sac sometime in the Spring; any suggestions on when would be best? I would like to knock that trip out before April if possible, but will wait if I have to. I don't want to have to strap chains to the Prius... Here's what I'm looking at for that trip; any advice would be much appreciated, and keep in mind that I will be heading further north into Oregon in the summer on a week or longer trip.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtr...=9302&tid=1930
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtr...=9302&tid=1931
the second link is just for the last 2 courses... I really wish they would up the limit of courses per road trip...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Id love to join you here in ukiah cause i live here! But i have to work all the days youll be up here the courses here are pretty good, i hope you enjoy them!

10am saturdays is random dubs at lake mendo south and sunday is singles 10am. Usually about 20 people i believe
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 38
The gates should be open at Lagoon by 0700, but you could also save yourself $3.00 and park by the main entrance. Then you just start playing on hole 11 since it's the closet basket by the main entrance. Either way it's not that far of a walk to the 1st hole. It's up to 27 holes now, but the Boy Scouts painted the course layout on a sign next to the 1st hole. The 18 hole layout is pretty easy to nav, but the "extra" 9 can be a little tough.
Have a fun and safe trip!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Bogey Member

I've played Anderson Valley. It's pretty cool for what it is. Only problem is I don't think there are any courses very close so it might take up a bit of your travel time. They sell discs with their stamp so you can get a souvenir and they're cool with drinking on the course as long as it's their booze. Great experience though. The one time I played it there was only one other group playing so we flew right threw.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 544
Glad to hear u like the rampage, very common forehand disc and guys really like it. Once the time changes in March u will have more time to burn through the courses and arcata has so many unlisted courses its crazy. U need more time there, especially if you decide to play Area 74. Let me know about or everyone know about National base course. I want to go and take someone, but I'm always worried I won't be able to get them on.

Oh when I played crane creek there was someone there checking parking pretty frequent so its taken serious there. I know of an unlisted course out between crane creek and Cloverdale in headberg or something. I would have to look at it.

Last edited by lion; 01-24-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazer View Post
I'm planning to play the Humboldt area up through Grants Pass and back down to sac sometime in the Spring; any suggestions on when would be best? I would like to knock that trip out before April if possible, but will wait if I have to. I don't want to have to strap chains to the Prius... Here's what I'm looking at for that trip; any advice would be much appreciated, and keep in mind that I will be heading further north into Oregon in the summer on a week or longer trip.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtr...=9302&tid=1930
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtr...=9302&tid=1931
the second link is just for the last 2 courses... I really wish they would up the limit of courses per road trip...
You have a few courses in there that might not be do-able in March depending on weather. Happy Camp, Willow Creek and Bridgeville are in the middle of nowhere and going to be iffy. There is also the question of are you just trying to bag courses? Becuese some of these are quite a ways out of the way for playing some 9 holers. You could also think about doing a second trip up in June / July for the mountain courses. If you did that I might be able to show you around some of the other unlisted courses around.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
Glad to hear u like the rampage, very common forehand disc and guys really like it. Once the time changes in March u will have more time to burn through the courses and arcata has so many unlisted courses its crazy. U need more time there, especially if you decide to play Area 74. Let me know about or everyone know about National base course. I want to go and take someone, but I'm always worried I won't be able to get them on.

Oh when I played crane creek there was someone there checking parking pretty frequent so its taken serious there. I know of an unlisted course out between crane creek and Cloverdale in headberg or something. I would have to look at it.
I have no problem paying at the pay to plays and won't try to get around it, especially my first time playing. If you can get me any info on that unlisted course in Headberg please let me know; I would love to get a chance to play it if possible. I'll let you know what happens at Travis AFB. Quite curious myself. And yes, the rampage is sick for RHFH. Threw it over 410' parked for birdie yesterday...

Last edited by Hazer; 01-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humchris85 View Post
You have a few courses in there that might not be do-able in March depending on weather. Happy Camp, Willow Creek and Bridgeville are in the middle of nowhere and going to be iffy. There is also the question of are you just trying to bag courses? Becuese some of these are quite a ways out of the way for playing some 9 holers. You could also think about doing a second trip up in June / July for the mountain courses. If you did that I might be able to show you around some of the other unlisted courses around.
thanks for the intel Chris. Maybe I will skip the mountain courses this spring and plan a separate trip for this summer and maybe you can show me around a few of those unlisted courses How long of a road trip should I plan? I'm down for whatever; I know you know great courses and I would be extremely grateful if you would show me around a few

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin234 View Post
Id love to join you here in ukiah cause i live here! But i have to work all the days youll be up here the courses here are pretty good, i hope you enjoy them!

10am saturdays is random dubs at lake mendo south and sunday is singles 10am. Usually about 20 people i believe
Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably plan to play Lake Mendo South at ten and get in on a round of random doubles with some locals. I appreciate it!