Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Depends on the line and lengh. A Pure for the 80' to 120', Core/Fuse for anything longer. The main factor is which tree I want to hit lol.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 60
Anything past my putting range up to about 150', I use a sideways stance, don't take my eyes off the target, use a small reach back, and throw with fan grip. From 150' to 200', I either throw from a standstill or a run-up, turn my head about 90 degrees from the target on reach back, and generally use a fork grip. The disc you use isn't as big a deal. I prefer neutral putters and mids (Anode and Axis).
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
I use a VP for just about anything 200' and in. It's the perfect approach disc in my opinion; slow, overstable, forgiving, not too much glide, and will stick where it lands. If I have to hit a real tight tunnel or turn to the right (rhbh), I will use a Summit, but I use the VP whenever I can (easily my favorite mold in my bag). From about 100' or so and in I use my control grip (putting grip) and anything past that I use my normal driving grip.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
The best thing that I found to improve my short range game os playing putter only rounds. It forced me to really learn to use it for all shots. But if you prefer to use mids, then try some mid only rounds. Either way you'll get better.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
The best thing that I found to improve my short range game os playing putter only rounds. It forced me to really learn to use it for all shots. But if you prefer to use mids, then try some mid only rounds. Either way you'll get better.
this.

also I expect the issue isn't so much as distance (if we're talking <200') as much as it is a line you need.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

If I'm being honest, approaches are probably the best part of my game. For me, an approach shot is anything from about 100-200, and any workable putter will do (i.e. any putter that you can throw straight no fade, anny, hyzer, powered down to flex for short distances). Rarely, I'll throw a Zone on a flex or forehand.

As everyone else has said, putter only is the way to go. Even if you love your mids, throw the putter until you can do that proficiently. Then if you still like approaching with your mids, do that. But not having that putter in your tool box is going to be a barrier for you. Practice makes perfect, and even though it might feel awkward at first, you'll get used to it. That's what practice is for--I hated throwing putters and even mids like the Comet before I forced myself to man up, figure out how to grip them, and throw them. Not liking how they feel is no excuse: there are a lot of different putters with different profiles out there.

I use a fan grip for everything, including drives. If I'm throwing the putter hard, I grip harder and tighter and do a full reach back and run up. If I'm throwing a touch shot, I throw from a stand still, grip more softly (so as to produce less spin on the disc), and barely reach back.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 19
Approaches are from my putting range to about 220'. For direct, constant lines (hyzer, straight, anny) it's an Opto Pure with a fan grip. Fan grips on anything slower than a driver and occasionally a long Wasp shot. But back to approaches -- a beat in TM2 Pure handles flips to turnovers and occasionally a roller if need.

From about 150' and in it's always a stand a deliver like throwing a catch lid. Anything farther it depends on the wind and line and whatnot as to whether I'll take a step or two.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Polecat for anything straight or flippy or precise. Ion or Anode (often flicked) for anything with hyzer or I need some more accurate D. Sometimes a Fuse on the really long ones. It's good to have options.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 32
I really only use my mids from maybe 225 on out to 290ish. Its that inside 225 that im looking to improve on. I tried a modified fan grip in practice yesterday and it felt comfortable right away. Just need to work a little on release point than I should be good to go.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 21
Wizards for me. RFF, Chalky, and Eraser.