Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Travel Tag Rules and Etiquette

Browsing through this forum as a new travel tag holder, it seems that there aren't too many rules. But, I'm curious what rules do exist, and what etiquette might have developed.

It sounds like the electronic trading system does have certain restrictions. Is the rule that I can only have a certain tag number once? If I have tag 25 in January, swap it around, am holding 54 in March, noone can trade 25 back to me? The trade simply won't be allowed by the system?

Any other "rules"? I guess there are some brief guidelines written on the tags themselves.

How about etiquette? I wonder about tournaments, in particular. Can I swap at a tournament? Does the other player actually have to be on my card? Or is it enough that we meet up, physically exchange tags, and both play the same course on the same day?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
If you meet another person with a tag, you exchange tags. Its not like bag tags for your league or club where the best score gets the best number.

If a tag you originally held makes its way back via a three way (or more) switch, that's fine. You just shouldn't be exchanging the same tags with the same person back and forth.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
If you meet another person with a tag, you exchange tags. Its not like bag tags for your league or club where the best score gets the best number.

If a tag you originally held makes its way back via a three way (or more) switch, that's fine. You just shouldn't be exchanging the same tags with the same person back and forth.
Are you sure about the bolded part? I thought that's how it used to be but then timg changed it.

I haven't been swapping this year at all, but I believe he made the change sometime in 2012.

@ OP: There's not really any other sort of etiquette involved. Show up, play a round together, swap tags, log it online. I guess if you're going to swap, when someone trades with you make sure to log it on the site asap.

Oh, don't be a douchebag...that's the only other "rule" I know of.

Edit: @ agibson...if you want to swap at RLW or PNC sometime, shoot me a pm.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
...and bring a sandwich!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Show up, play a round together, swap tags,
That gets at perhaps my primary question.

Can I swap at a tournament if we're playing on different cards? So, we're both playing, we do meet up, but we don't play "together" in the usual sense. Or is that sort of against the spirit of the thing?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Totally. I've been meaning to play with some of the other local DGCR folks sooner or later, anyhow. And this travel tag provides some impetus. I'd been hoping to do it this week, before classes start up, but looks like that won't happen... Maybe I'll have a proposal as soon as... next week?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by agibson View Post
That gets at perhaps my primary question.

Can I swap at a tournament if we're playing on different cards? So, we're both playing, we do meet up, but we don't play "together" in the usual sense. Or is that sort of against the spirit of the thing?
I don't think there's a "rule" against it, but personally I feel it's kinda against the spirit of the whole thing. I dunno, others might disagree. :shrugsmiley:
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Are you sure about the bolded part? I thought that's how it used to be but then timg changed it.

I haven't been swapping this year at all, but I believe he made the change sometime in 2012.

@ OP: There's not really any other sort of etiquette involved. Show up, play a round together, swap tags, log it online. I guess if you're going to swap, when someone trades with you make sure to log it on the site asap.

Oh, don't be a douchebag...that's the only other "rule" I know of.

I asked Timg about it, you can trade with someone if it's a tag you've never had or a person you've never played with. So I can trade with the same person twice if we both have different tags. I can also trade for a tag I've had if I have never traded with the person who has it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
I asked Timg about it, you can trade with someone if it's a tag you've never had or a person you've never played with. So I can trade with the same person twice if we both have different tags. I can also trade for a tag I've had if I have never traded with the person who has it.
Sounds good, and reasonable.

From looking around this forum yesterday, it sounds like this behavior is also _different_ (and more sensible) than what was coded at some point in the past.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Birdie Member

Apparently we have a FAQ. Who knew?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/faq.php?mode=show&id=34

Travel Tags Questions >
Are there any travel tag rules?
The only real rules are:

A) You can't swap for a tag number you've already had unless you have not swapped with that person before.
B) You can't swap different year tags

But also
What are travel tags for?
Categories

Rules/Etiquette
Site Related
Terminology
Travel Tags

Travel tags provide a fun excuse for you to meet other DGCR members and play some disc golf. The idea is that you meet up with someone from the site, swap tags, record your info on the back of the tag you just got and then play a round.

Afterwards you can record your swap on the site and track all sorts of stuff like the different tags and swaps others have made, see which tag has traveled the most, track the path of various tags and see who has met the largest amount of other members.