Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
Fair or foul?

This thread is to discuss specific holes or ideas for a hole for existing or proposed courses. I thought this would be a good way for those of us that propose, sell, design or install disc golf courses to discuss specific holes and ideas.

This post will take up two pages...only way for me to get all four pictures up I want to get feed back on.

This hole design is for a proposed pay to play course in Northeast Georgia. The property is 90 acres and includes a lot of great features like a pond, several small creeks, a waterfall (30 feet) and lots of elevation.

One of the holes would be a par 5 that plays 1,050 in a straight line from the long tee, 940 from the medium tee and 820 from the short tee. From the long tee, it would require a 390' tee shot to clear the small lake straight across, 280 to clear the water playing toward where the red or short tee is located. There is a bailout area to the left...where the medium tee would be located.

The attached image is from Google Earth of the property that the hole would cover. I look forward to getting feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Par 5 Hole - Wiley GA.JPG (93.9 KB, 284 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 76
Fair. DG needs more holes like this
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Fair I suppose. But 95% of disc golfers will not be able to clear the first shot from the blue tee.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracks View Post
Fair I suppose. But 95% of disc golfers will not be able to clear the first shot from the blue tee.
They can bail out, if you do no think you can clear the water play the other tee.
By the way sadjo great hole
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.3
Courses Played: 77
Will there be trained Chesapeake Bay Retreivers available for fetching disc from the pond or BYOD that swims?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

The first picture is taken from where the long tee will be located. It is zoomed in just a bit. The next picture is taken from the 2nd landing area on top of the hill, about 75 feet or so from the entrance into the woods...looking back toward the lake and tees.

The last picture will be on the next post.

The question is...is this a fair challenge or foul? I've had a couple of players that have been to the property say this is too difficult. Impossible for anyone to get a chance at a birdie 4. I think from the long tee it will be a challenge. I also think that from the medium or short tee it will still be a challenge. I also believe that anyone that has three good shots can have a putt for birdie.

Fair or foul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long tee picture.jpg (148.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Landing area top of hill.jpg (147.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Here's the last picture. This is taken from about 50 to 100 feet inside the woods. It's open enough, I think to allow for a fair challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just inside the woods.jpg (150.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 35
After seeing the pictures it looks like a beautiful hole. You will definitely have to work for that 4.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 88
I never liked going straight across a body of water, especially so close to the tee. Too many variables like wind and temperature and whatnot come into play. Say I can normally make it but suddenly there is one variable I mentioned above that I was not anticipating being such a factor on this given day and now I cannot make it. I lose a disc on a shot I normally make and because I normally make it, not going for it never crossed my mind. That would ruin my round right there and I would blame it on the course. Thankfully in this scenario it seems the water is protected by woods, cutting down on the wind variable at least.

What I like more, in regards to water holes anyway, is the water being the mid way point and somewhere around 300 feet off the tee. It is still a legitimate danger and more likely you are not even going to attempt to cross it on your first shot. Instead, that first shot is all about teasing the water as close as you can to set up a second shot. The risk versus reward is more of a conscious choice instead of a forced choice. If I go into the water, I blame it on myself, not the course. Blue Ribbon Pines #7 and #22 are perfect examples of what I am talking about.

Without actually being there and seeing your intended flow, I would actually reverse the flow on this potential hole, having the long tee where you have the basket marked and have the basket where the tees are at.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 41
Great picks, looks like you have thought out a great hole