Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
I'm thinking about creating a basket location at the very edge of a small cliff. The location in question is the small rectangle farthest to the left in this picture.

The distance to the basket is 363', and it is a white level course.
So, is this location fair or foul?
I think that is the key words here. As long as it safe to get down from near the basket, and a disc is relatively easy to retrieve I think that this is fair. Remember player safety though...Of course if there is already a hole there it looks like the cliff already is in play anyway...so go for it!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
The basket location is great, but the distance seems a little long for a white level course if you want people to actually bring the dropoff into play on the drive. A little shorter shot will really make that cliff a risk/reward decision that doesn't just lead to a lot of 300' drives, lame layups and mostly 3s for that level player.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
I played a hole Sunday that has a similar situation. You play along a creek about 140'. If you're short, you have a putt with a 15-20' drop into the creek. I ended up down in the creek on Sunday and spent 20 minutes using a Golden Retriever to fish my disc out of the water...as there was no real easy way to get down to the water's edge.

So i like the idea of that hole but wonder if my disc goes over, will I be able to get it back easily or not?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
I was assuming since a picture was taken looking up at the basket that it wasn't too difficult to get down there, and it looked like a dry dropoff so it's not causing a bunch of lost discs.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 51
That seems fair. Looks like a hole that I would love. Might gain a stroke on my longer throwing but inconsistent brother-in-law.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
These two pictures are taken at the Piedmont Tree Nursery in Salem, SC. My boys' Scout Troop leases the property once in the Spring and once in the Fall each year for a Scout Camping Trip. We normally set up 9 Travelers for the scouts.

In 2014 I'm planning a Disc Golf event there called The Oconee Jam. Players that have seen the pictures say we have to have at least one hole playing the entire straight row of trees. They say it would be EPIC!

As you can see from the two pictures (one taken from where the tee would be and the other from about a 3rd of the way down to where we had a Traveler during the scout weekend.) The alley way is tight and the distance is long...about 385' from end to end.

Fair or Foul?

More than fair. I love this kind of shot. But then, risk/reward is very important for me to like a course/hols.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
So I just got here and skimmed through a lot of it. I agree with the sentiment that it's not the distance that's really the problem from the blue tee, it's the gap on the far side that possibly makes it unfair. You could cross it only to hit a limb and bounce back. I can't really tell how wide that gap is but I'd say it would need to be in the 80'+ range.

I will say this, #25 at Flyboy is a very similar hole to this one with the exception that it has no trees on the far side of the water to go around. It's around 380 to cross the water and the tee is slightly elevated. It also gives you a bailout to the left but again there's no trees on the bank to navigate. While there I saw people not make it but I also saw some people make it.

Walnut Creek #18 in Va also has a close to 400' water carry except the bailout is on the right. Though that hole also has trees on the bank and the gap is possibly even smaller than the one you have. I've deuced both of those holes and I can say that making the carry was extremely exciting and I think the hole you have designed there would also give that thrill... unless you hit a tree and bounce back.
At Walnut did you deuce long 18 or short?