Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Oh, the “where does my money go” argument.

Well, the numbers should almost always work out. But there are many many many things that people forget about that are costs involved to run an event. For example, here are some common costs I run into when running events that have to come out of the total payout.

PDGA Sanctioning
OB Paint / Rope / Flags
Paper for scorecards
Paper for leaderboard cards
Ink to print scorecards / leaderboard cards
Ice / Water on the course
Course / Park Rental
Shipping of merchandise ordered

It adds up quickly.
I have run many events myself, and trust me I both know the costs AND have been on the other end of this argument in the past. Heaven forbid I once charged $10 a player for 2 rounds, with prizes etc, and a players pack including a choice out of the clubs long lost pile, as a way to raise funds and get the discs back out there, and that was met with mixed reactions, regarding the cost not the discs.

Quite a few players raised concerns about the costs and basically it was high due to the trophies and fear of low numbers. That to me is catch 22, high price lowers numbers, whats better 20 at 25 or 25 at $20 :-D
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
So you're saying you value the tournament experience at $5?
Indeed, if it was run as a tournament....once the infrastructure is in place, it doesnt cost you and arm and a leg to run an ok event on a shoestring budget.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
The "investment" is giving the hosting club the ability to host future events, and maybe some funds left over for course improvements. If all a player is worried about is getting a % back, maybe they should go find a part time job instead. And I'm saying this from the viewpoint of a low-level intermediate player who rarely ends up in the top 3. It's good value anyway in my book just to get a day's worth of entertainment for $25. Coming away with something in hand at the end of the day is just gravy. If it's a good bunch of players on a good course, I don't care if I pay $25 with no player's pack, and leave with no prize or gift.

But to answer the OP's question: yes. That arrangememt seems fair, and actually a little above the norm. Our club has recently moved away from trophies to medallions, and offer no lunch or player's pack. But we usually pay out to the top third of the field. I think we usually do more like $15-20 buy in for all am divisions. Only Open gets cash, everyone else is paid in plastic. Non-sanctioned, but we're investigating doing sanctioned events.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
The sense of entitlement disc golfers have is hilarious. Try playing a golf tournament.....twice as expensive, and the winner gets a trophy.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM

I know its not much, but like you said yourself...the club has moved away from trophies etc...which to me is the biggest issue in this case. An unnecessary addition that added to everyones cost. Round here, that jump from $20 to $25 is a big one, you gotta justify it!

This was not a club, there was to be no donation of profits etc, purely a member run event with all profits going in the back pocket.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
The sense of entitlement disc golfers have is hilarious. Try playing a golf tournament.....twice as expensive, and the winner gets a trophy.
Or even worse, my wife rides in equestrian events. At the end she has a bill in the hundreds and a handful of ribbons to show for it...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Have you seen how much green fees are...that argument is irrelevant!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Sorry folks, CLEARLY I was wrong...TDs are free to charge whatever they see fit with zero accountability and if you dont like it, just miss it and look for a better job or something, sigh.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
I am really sick of this argument. The only answer to this is Pros should play for cash, top three or whatever get paid. everyone else gets nothing.

Ams should be trophy only. the winner gets a trophy of some sort. and if the TD wants to give a t-shirt or disc as an incentive to sign up sure. but otherwise no prizes for also rans. CTPs are cool, Ring of Fire. if you are able to get donations. but damn kids, this isnt field day at your middle school where everybody gets a little ribbon. nor should it be. we are grown (some more than others) men. stop expecting free ****. people work very hard for nothing and whiny little bitches expect primo plastic just for getting up before 9 am.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfbandit View Post
Sorry folks, CLEARLY I was wrong.

Yes you were.