Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Saw a bald eagle dismembering a duck on the ice at Watson Lake. Birdied Hole #5 for my first time lefty or other.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hey guys, I'm kind of curious about Greenfield Lakes. Is it worth the five dollars and a long drive?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Maryvale course got shut down. Sweetwater just got city approval.
There was a dg course in Maryvale? Where is the Sweetwater course going to be?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Called up Spinners for the skinny on the Memorial coming up (Feb. 27th- Mar. 3rd). To be held at both Vista and Fountain Hills. Anyone wanting to volunteer need not call, but rather simply show up any of those days and register. Also, just saw a vid of Will Schusterick driving at Vista. Tantalizing.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psicko View Post
There was a dg course in Maryvale? Where is the Sweetwater course going to be?
There was a pay to play on a traditional golf course that was in the works. For some reason the project got canceled.

Sweetwater will be at the Sweetwater recreational area somewhere in north Phoenix. The project lead is raising money for baskets right now.

Maps for the two courses at Red Mountain have been posted to Facebook. Project is still on schedule. http://www.facebook.com/RedMountainD...ref=ts&fref=ts

Emerald park is temporarily closed for renovations including new sod, trees, and irrigation.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Birdie Member

I saw all of the Prodigy guys playing at Vista. I was in pure amazement at their driving and putting abilities. They make it look so easy.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Maryvale course got shut down. Sweetwater just got city approval. Fiesta is collecting money for their baskets. Red Mountain ECD is early March. The Jewel is this weekend. Lots of touring pros in town..... Wysocki, Big Jerm, Uli, Cat, GG, Borg, and Devan Owens. Its going to be tough to cash this weekend.
U need to cash. I'm counting on u!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 57
i like all this hype on AZ courses, i know most of it is cause of the memorial but i hope it keeps up and we keep getting new courses, hopefully more in elevation.
im from indiana and was spoiled with the courses in that area and michigan, we need to get AZ on the dg map
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Birdie Member

We need more park courses. There are plenty of parks in Phoenix that could have nine hole courses.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
we need to get AZ on the dg map
I agree, we do. In my opinion, the best way to do so is to create solid, challenging (yet accessible) courses that can provide revenue for the community, whether by paying for entry fees and/or memberships, or capable of successfully hosting both local and national tournaments.

discgolfkyle, I have to disagree with you. Placing courses within multi-use parks is a bad idea if you're trying to gain validity to the sport. It's a good way to establish disc golf in a community (i.e. Prescott), but Phoenix already has a large disc golfing constituency and I believe the sport to be well-known in the Valley.

Many people directly involved with Vista del Camino and Fountain Hills constantly tell me those courses are on the verge of being pulled, mostly because of the potential danger to non-dg'ers in the immediate area. In fact, VdC was almost pulled in '08 (or '09, can't recall now) when there was an incident on hole #11 where a pedestrian was struck and badly injured. I've been told, "It's only a matter of time before they're gone." Granted, the validity of these types of statements can be challenged, seeing as how VdC and FH have been in the ground for 25+ years.

As I see it, the folks behind the Red Mountain courses have a great thing going. The installation is slated to occupy a setting amongst other sports fields, and a majority of the layout takes the dg'ers away from the facility's other patrons. They've also decided to have two 18-hole courses, I'm sure with the intention of appealing to the widest range of players possible. I've actually been creating a proposal to the City of Phoenix on a similar installation in North Phoenix so I'm very excited to see this course in its finished state!