Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 138
Charleston South Carolina

I'll be in Charleston South Carolina for a few days next month and was planning on hitting up Trophy Lakes

Any other spots you guys recommend while I'm there. Also what is the weather like down that way in late February?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
I just got back from Charleston yesterday... Charleston is a beautiful area, even in the winter months. I played Trophy Lakes and Tidal Creek. I will say that Trophy Lakes was a LOT of fun for me, but not really as challenging of a course as I was hoping for. I am a sucker for water carries and scary holes. There was no shortage of water coming into play on Trophy Lakes from the long tees, but can also be avoided from the shorter tees if you aren't into losing discs (or the threat of it). It was easy for me to lay up for par on everything from the longs and get a little crazy on a few when I was feeling up to it as well.
Tidal creek wasn't an amazing course, but it is very much worth the walk through the tidal swamp area if you have the extra time. It is a nice representation of a "low country swamp" area without having to get knees deep in anything crazy. I very much enjoyed the scenery here. The course was short, but still challenging enough to have a good time. There were a few times where I would have had a bit of a navigation issue if I hadn't teamed up with some locals for the round.
Have fun and don't forget to spend a little time getting to know the rest of what the area has to offer. I had an absolutely amazing time in Charleston.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinimower View Post
Also what is the weather like down that way in late February?
Springtime.

Well, early spring. Flowers blooming, temps in the 60s or 70s.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 65
Go to Sermet's on Wentworth and King for lunch! Please!

Charleston is definitely spring-like come the end of February. Good time to go.

As for disc golf, the only course I've played in the area was Park Circle. Decent little course - I'd definitely hit it up if you had the time - but nothing overly exciting.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 168
Eagle Landing DGC

We also have a new course in North Charleston called Eagle Landing on an old ball golf course. I would say play Trophy Lakes, Eagle Landing and West Ashley if it were up to me. There is also a C-Tier at West Ashley on 2/9/13. Visit www.charlestondgc.com for the flyer.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 35
Isn't North Charleston kinda dangerous?

I don't recommend Chucktown in the summer. they don't make enough Gold Bond for me to play there.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 38
North Charleston is very dangerous!
There is a decent course there that is in the less dangerous area. It is called Park Circle.

west ashley/tidal creek is the worst course in the area as far as I am concerned. Bee's, redbugs, snakes and gators are a part of play and the layout is mediocre.
^^^is a great place to fish though!

trophy is a great course, just play there the whole time. Long tees par is about 1000 rated round so I'm not sure why the guy above made it sound easy.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Courses Played: 1
trophy is a great course, just play there the whole time. Long tees par is about 1000 rated round so I'm not sure why the guy above made it sound easy.

908 player rating / 1000 rd. rating - whats so hard about that ?

Last edited by volkswagen; 01-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswagen View Post

908 player rating / 1000 rd. rating - whats so hard about that ?
... the course par from longs is listed as a 62 by the way. Looking at a couple past tournaments, that plays in the 950 range?? I find it absolutely impossible to believe that in normal weather conditions that is very difficult for anyone with reasonable distance and accuracy.

I'm not sure why my rating really matters, but I've played maybe one tournament in the last year and it hardly reflects my level of play. I'm sure you can understand that people have bad days. I wasn't bashing the course or anything, just saying that if you play it smart that it really isn't as troublesome as people make it out to be. I had a great time there and loved the course and will likely be back again.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Ill be down in the Charleston area Feb. 13-14 through the weekend.... hoping to get a few rounds in at Trophy and West Ashley..... anything fun going on that weekend???

I also like to grab cool tourney stamps or local club stamped discs.... i was bummed on my last visit to Trophy's pro shop 2 years ago..... anything cool floating around???

im eager to test my development as a player, as my last trophy visit was only 6 months into my disc career....