Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Lat 64 xXx or Trident

hey gues im looking to pick up one of the two mentioned discs in the title. just curious if you guys have thrown either or both and what your thoughts are. I know there is a speed difference but what im looking for is something very overstable for right to left shots. just let me know what you guys think
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
I think they are both the same thing. Some people like the XXX and some like the trident. It's like is the pred better then a firebird?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Both are excellent. XXX is going to give a more C-shaped flight - it wants to fade out of the hand - and the Trident is a bit more L-shaped. XXX is a bit faster, and the Trident kinda flies like a mid as opposed to a driver, since it is slow. Whichever one of those meets your needs should be the answer.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
I think they are both the same thing. Some people like the XXX and some like the trident. It's like is the pred better then a firebird?
They're not the same. The Trident is much slower speed, almost flies like a mid. I'd compare it to a Whippet or Drone. It's really overstable and is great for short left to right.

I don't have as much experience with the XXX, but it's definitely faster with greater distance potential. It's more like a Firebird or a Pred, you'll be able to get a little more distance out of it before it fades hard.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
i have both, xxx in lighter weights is same as a trident max wt
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
^most people say they are both about the same. I guess I heard wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
IMO buy the XXX if you are looking for a great OH disc that can also double as a headwind fighter and OS FH disc. Buy the Trident if you are looking for an OS disc for approaches and fairway duties that can do some decent OH shots too. Their flight paths are a little different as are their shapes and feel, but they could be considered interchangeable to the uninitiated.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
For the record, they are not the same. And a trident isn't the same as a drone either. Thrown on distance lines the trident will not be beastly overstable but it will be resistant to turn. It also doesn't skip nearly as much when thrown on distance lines.

The drone is clearly slower than the trident. I would honestly base it on what distance range you are looking for an OS disc.

Mid - Drone, Tweener - Trident, Driver - xXx.

They are very different, just feel the rims.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
So much will depend on your power, as to whether you see a huge difference between the two.

I picked up a xXx to 'replace' a very flat Flat Top Firebird that I put into a pond. Not the same thing. The xXx is closer to a very domey Firebird, IMO. RHBH, full power and flat, I get about 200 + ft. straight out of the xXx before it fades...and then it fades hard, not quite as hard as a FT Firebird. It's slower out of an anhzer FH than I expected, but it does always fade. I threw it hard yesterday into a serious headwind, say 25 mph +, and it flew about 250-275 dead straight with no fade.

In my experience, it's very similar in flight to a "regular" domey champ Firebird. It feels 'bigger' in the hand, (deeper and wider rimmed?) which is better for my big hands. I love it, been calling it my "Swedish meatball."

I find it to be more versatile than the FT FB, covers more shots, I've been throwing a ton of FH with it, in addition to the standard "meathook" BH shots.

I'm going to have to try the Trident also. I haven't thrown it yet, but need to cover that slot still. But my guess is the more power you throw with, the more you'll see a difference between the two.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
I'm going to have to try the Trident also. I haven't thrown it yet, but need to cover that slot still. But my guess is the more power you throw with, the more you'll see a difference between the two.

This. This is the answer.