Disc Golf Store
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
new course?

Hey everybody, this is my first post i did a little search and didn't find to much but i could of probably dug deeper. Anyway, I joined for a couple reasons. I have several things i want to address on this forum but the first would be my lack of opportunities to play disc golf in the summer time. The closest courses to me are both about 60 miles away. (right now Im in long beach summertime I'm in Alaska) I really really want to set up a course in my hometown of Cooper Landing. I believe it would be a good thing for the community for a multitude of reasons. I know that they have a large area that they are wondering what should be done with it. The fact that it is not an organised community and we only have advisory committees that communicate with our out of touch politicians makes it a little harder. If anyone knows where i can gather information about all facets of creating a new course (political and design) i would really appreciate the help. The cost will be an issue but not one that hasn't been overcome before. Anyway if any of you all have any experience with this let me know.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 544
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just to start out I would call discraft, Innova, DGA, and other disc companies and ask for course installation packets and costs. Each company that sells baskets should get you started with free packets and brochures to give u ideas on cost, design, area, and what nots. This is a good start. Also there are threads in this forum which discusses course design, letters to the community, and pretty much every facet needed to get going. Good luck brother and I live 60 minutes from long beach and if you want to get a round sometime or ever want to play courses near me please let me know. I've played almost everything listed in Cali.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
Have you asked the Alaska Disc Golf Association?

http://www.alaskadiscgolf.com/index.htm
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
No i have not really been involved in the sport in Alaska. that should be called the anchorage disc golf association from what i can tell. I will at some point be in touch with them for sure though. My main issue is getting approval to build a disc golf course from the borough. (land owner) we really dont have much representation where im at its going to be tough. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 AM

Its really good for you and your community area to have a new golf course with all modern amenities.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 84
You could also read the PDGA information about course development. The documents there address effective course design, benefits of disc golf, and a sample course proposal, among other things.

http://www.pdga.com/course-development

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 84
On a related note, but slightly off topic, I spent a summer working in Alaska 10+ years ago. I can just imagine playing all summer long, and not really even needing a glow disc to play in the middle of the night. Good luck!