Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatsmith View Post
Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona has a course on the property, Thorpe within walking distance, McPherson(5mins away), Snow Bowl, and..?

Winner winner, and NAU has 2 graduates that work for the PDGA........

Georgia Regents University(formerly Augusta State) tons of courses here, Colorado State, and UNC-Charlotte would get honorable mention.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Going to throw my two cents in on the NAU discussion. Do they have courses? Yes. Are they good courses? Not really. Snowbol is acceptable...but the others not so much, unless you want to play on volcanic rocks or glass shard covered fairways. The NAU course is average at best.

Now, looking at that list of schools, and which one's I have played the courses at or near the campus...here are the one's that stick out in my mind.

1. Indian Hills CC - One of the best and well maintained courses on any campus in the US, plus the school has a ton of money for sports. Don't let the CC in the name fool you, filthy rich school. This is a non-smoking campus and I think a non-alcohol campus as well. There are a few other fun courses within a 15 minute drive of the campus as well. A true midwest dg legend lives in the same town. The guy once shot an -18 during an ice bowl...hit an ace on the last hole to make the -18.
2. Wisconsin-SP - Standing Rock and Yulga are two absolutely awesome courses. They are fairly well maintained. The university isn't anything special there, but they do have a couple of gems for courses.
3. Iowa State - Campus is nice and the two courses in town are nice. And like somebody said, both courses were part of the 2004 worlds. Also, there are quite a few great courses within a 20-40 minute drive of the campus and the ISU team does a fair bit of traveling around to tourneys. The one problem that they do have is overcrowding on the Gateway course. That is where all the one-discers go to fling plastic and drink beer. The course is fun though. Lots of bikinis on the course during the spring and summer months.
4. Colorado State - The campus is decent, but the courses aren't anything to write home about. Pretty dull and not too exciting. Once you get a ways out from campus, there are some fun courses. I really enjoyed Buckhorn and Beaver Meadows.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
GO PACK!!! TOP 10 IN SOMETHING!!! We beat Carolina and we drop a spot....

I'm surprised UNC-Charlotte isn't on the list/rankings. It is in Charlotte of all places and I thought I heard Cam Todd say on DGTR that he is kinda volunteer coaching the team there.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
GO PACK!!! TOP 10 IN SOMETHING!!! We beat Carolina and we drop a spot....

I'm surprised UNC-Charlotte isn't on the list/rankings. It is in Charlotte of all places and I thought I heard Cam Todd say on DGTR that he is kinda volunteer coaching the team there.
Shouldn't that mean UNCC is also the best racing college, seeing how Charlotte is the home of NASCAR?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM

St. Cloud State in MN is definitely worth checking out as well. The city itself has around 65k people with the student body comprising about 16k. The college offers the second most areas of study (majors) in the state, behind the U of M in the Twin Cities, and there is a ton of disc golf courses within 20 miles. According to the map search function on here there are 189 holes within 15 miles of campus and 282 within 20 miles. There is really nice diversity in course feel and difficulty as well with a variety of technical and open courses, elevation and water. I wish I was more into disc golf when I went to school there
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
Shouldn't that mean UNCC is also the best racing college, seeing how Charlotte is the home of NASCAR?
apples and oranges, we're talking about DG here.

wait I just read your name, you mad?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
IMO if you pick a college based on the local courses, or its disc golf team, the rest of your college career might not go so well. Seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things that are important in picking a college.
yeah, right!?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm betting not many valedictorians are using this same metric to come up with their short list of schools to apply to!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 199
You just must be old and dull like me. Thinking of practical concerns instead of parties and disc golf. Then again, I might have done the same thing at 17 or 18. I certainly did some other idiotic things.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedodger View Post
Even being an Aggie I have to second this. Austin's disc golf scene is huge with dozens of courses in town (Old Settlers, Circle C Metro, etc.). College Station, home of Texas A&M, sadly only has one 18 hole course and 4 9 holers. So if you want to win at football, come on down here to Aggieland, but if you want a booming disc golf college experience there is no better place than Austin.
I'm sorry.....what did the Aggies win in football again? SEC....nope.....National Title.....nope......flash in the pan Heisman....Definitely.......

When was Texas' last National Title in Football?.....oh yeah 2005.....when was A&M's...........1939......just sayin'....I know how you Aggies like to make up things you have "won"...a la the 1910 National Title.

But you are right about Austin being the place to attend college with the most disc golf upside.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 199
I'd go to Austin just for the food. DG would be an after thought.