Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Jcassidy1990's Bag

Hey guys,
I am two years into DG and am starting to finally be over the "need to try everything new" and the dreaded MVP phase (jk!). My bag is starting to develop a solid amount of consistancy and I am just looking for suggestions,comments and questions about my current lineup.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 2 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, a touch of OH, touch of FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:200-300' Roc: 250-330' Rival: 300-360' MAX D: 400'+

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: nope
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, Ultimate
Additional Information: I live in St. Louis
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I love the main core of my bag (Rocs and Rivals/Patriots). I also really like my driver putter setup .
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to learn a consistent and effective overhand
Immediate and long-term goals: I NEED to get better at putting. I know it's all about confidence and repitition but I just can't seem to get there.

In My Grip:

Putters:
-175 G 300s PA4: haven't been putting with it for long but I am liking its glide and straight flight into the chains. Grabs nicely as well.
-175 G 400s PA4: main driving putter. Straight, slight hyzers, slight annys. Really been a go-to, long range driving putter.
-169 G 400s PA1: due to its lighter weight it still glides fairly well. straight to hyzer putter drivers. Forced panning annys are also really strong with this disc.
-174 G ESP Zone: utility uses. Rollers, spike hyzers, windy approaches. You name it, the zone can do it.

Mids:
-169 G KC Pro Roc: beat up and great for annys, flip shots, glidey approaches and long runs at the chains.
-177 G KC Pro Roc: beat up but not too flippy. Dead straight with maybe a slight right finish. This is a go to roc.
-177 G KC Pro Roc: 7/10 and IN THE SWEET SPOT. Dead straight with that late, reliable fade. Been my go to mid for several months now.
-177 G KC Pro Roc: 8/10. Beefy roc. I use this in headwinds, hyzers and anythign that can't flip.

*All my rocs are 12x preflight numbers and are very firm KC Pro plastic.

Fairways
-174 G Legend Patriot: fairly understable. Used for right turning shots, long annys and dead straights
-174 G Pinnacle Patriot: really stable. Holds a line regardless of angle. Really like a fresh PreBarry Leopard. Cruises straight with great HSS and has a decent, but reliable LSS. Bullet straight shots.
-174 G Icon Rival: workhorse fairway. Straight, zero turn and a reliable hard fade. I use this for about 70% of all fairway drives. Pinn Pat may steal some shots from this rival though
-175 G Sparkle Rival: most overstable rival. Has a very strong finish and zero turn. Fights wind really well too. I only use this for big hyzers or headwinds shots. Has retained stability for a long while.

Distance:

-172 G 400s D4: My workhorse distance driver. Capable of long annys but I use it for monster D, long straight shots and mostly and tee shot that requires a distance driver.
-172 G 400s D1: I have had both these D drivers since they were released. This disc has lost a bit of stability but can hyzer really nicely and I use it namely for massive flex shots and slight headwind duties.
-175 G Star Wraith: beefy wind fighting driver. Pancake flat and is amazingly grippy. I just got this disc but I can see it holding in my bag for a long while.
-175 G Gateway Illusion: my overhand disc. Flips super fast and is deadly accurate for me. It bounces a lot and can be thrown into a headwind BH as well. Rarely used but seldom fails me.

There she is...This is my bag and I'm proud of it. Now dig in and let me know if there is anything/anywhere that you see a hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bag1.jpg (148.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 117
I think getting over the "try every new disc that comes out" phase is good. Some of the new stuff may in and out of your bag, but I am a big believer in learning the discs that work the best and are most consistent for you.

To that end, a lot of the molds in your bag are unfamiliar to me because I've been set in my ways for a while and haven't really tried anything new over the past couple years. I'm still stuck on TeeBirds, Orcs, Wraiths, etc. But, most of the time, I can keep errant strokes to a minimum because I am confident in what each of those discs will do when I throw it. Also, I don't have a ton of extra time to experiment with new molds, but that is me.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 39
"I am two years into DG and am starting to finally be over the "need to try everything new" and the dreaded MVP phase"

Ive also gotten over the feeling of needing to try other discs.. maybe because ive finally found a set of discs that I really like but yeah..lol. Funny you say that about MVP.. none of the mvp discs survived and I tried them all. They all somehow found a way out of my bag.

Im surprised that you say your wraith is your beefy wind fighting driver..? How far are you throwing it? For me a wraith would turn in the wind for sure. I like my Xcals and D1's for wind fighting when it comes to distance.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
"I am two years into DG and am starting to finally be over the "need to try everything new" and the dreaded MVP phase"

Ive also gotten over the feeling of needing to try other discs.. maybe because ive finally found a set of discs that I really like but yeah..lol. Funny you say that about MVP.. none of the mvp discs survived and I tried them all. They all somehow found a way out of my bag.

Im surprised that you say your wraith is your beefy wind fighting driver..? How far are you throwing it? For me a wraith would turn in the wind for sure. I like my Xcals and D1's for wind fighting when it comes to distance.
This is a freak wraith. It's BEEF and super flat. Likely will replace it with a wind fighter such as the Excal though.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Tourneys this weekend. Would love a few more notes on my bag
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 117
What tourney, the St. Charles Club Champs?
I'll be there too...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Tourneys this weekend. Would love a few more notes on my bag
You know you don't need anything faster than your Rivals at Quail for this weekend!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
You know you don't need anything faster than your Rivals at Quail for this weekend!
That's not my concern!
3 man throwdown on Sunday is a real mans course!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
That's not my concern!
3 man throwdown on Sunday is a real mans course!
Oh yeah, good point.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Are you finding any overlap between the pa1 and the zone? A fresh D1 might replace both the wraith and the illusion for you. You might want to consider a super BEEF driver along the lines of firebird/xxx as a utility disc.