Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 49
I've got blisters on mah' fingers,

and I'm throwing all Helter Skelter!

This is my 6th year playing and I haven't changed anything about my grip since 2011. I developed a blister just above the crease/joint of my index finger in August 2012. It's very uncomfortable to throw mids and drive with putters. Drivers (due to the shallower rims?) aren't a problem unless it's already aggravated. I think Comets are to blame, since I got my first one around then, and the bead sits right in the crook of that joint with my grip.

It's hardened up a lot, I was hoping it would just turn into a callous and I could get back to the business of throwing Buzzzes, but it's still painful after four/five months... Even with playing only once a week, if at all, in the winter. I wrap it with antibiotic ointment at night and I've taken a nail file to it more than a few times...

Any other RHBH have this happen? Solutions that don't involve changing to a fan grip? I've had to change a lot in my game to compensate for this, and my mids mostly sit in my bag unused.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
What you put a little more of your fingers underneath or maybe even not quite as much.im talking minimal movements just to get that crease off the bead.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Yup! I'll set the bead/rim in the middle of the pad between the two joints, that's the most comfortable place for a mid if I'm not trying to power it, but it still scrapes over this spot as it leaves my hand.

I think I've prerubed myself. But these guys had blisters on the middle finger and could solve it with a bit of tape. The thread pretty much shows the grip I use (2nd grip posted is about spot on). I don't think I could tape my index finger and still throw well.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Supposed to be an "if" in between "what" and "you" ......sorry
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 50
I heard Avery Jenkins uses super glue.....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 340
I have trouble with 1st crease of the index and 2nd crease of the middle fingers. Right where the edge of the rim rests. I have tried various other grips but I can't get the same release. If I plan on playing a lot I have started using heavy duty fabric band-aids on the areas. Plastic band-aids down allow the same release (for me). Last time I went on a discin trip I didn't wear them the first day and my game (and fingers) suffered the next two days.....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: LHBH
i would say, take an actually break! I know its hard but if you keep playing with it, its never going to heal. A week of no dg what so ever could work wonders.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

That should be easy with the current cold snap! I dunno if taking 7 days off will be any different than taking 6 days off, but I might not get back out for a couple weeks, looking at the forecast.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
You win for thread title and first line!

I wish I had your problem - I have joint ache in my throwing index, which seems a lot more serious than a skin problem. I'm hoping it isn't my parents passing arthritis on to me.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Birdie Member

Back when I played competitively I had the same problem. I was playing a tourney in Vegas one year and the skin on my index finger ripped right open and bled the whole tourney. It was freaking painful, I still managed to finish 2nd. My problem area was the same as yours. I experimented with many types of tape and a good quality duct tape always seemed to work well. Taking time off will not help. The only time I stopped having the problem is when I switched to a power grip for every throw.