Disc Golf Center
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Are crossing fairways ever OK?

In the midst of designing a course on a middle school campus, and we have an instance where two fairways cross slightly. One hole tees off from an elevated location down toward the basket on a long left hand backhand fade. The next hole tees off toward the previous tee pad, but has wide open sight lines and will require a different line toward the pin. It is also a lower starting point than the first tee.

Because of the open sight lines, is this something we can get away with, or is this entirely frowned upon because of any crossing at all? I appreciate your feedback.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's frowned upon, though I've played several courses that have some crossing fairways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMiufTxH_T0
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
"Ever OK"? Maybe.

On a middle school ground? Though I can't quite picture your description, I seriously doubt it. If middle schoolers play you're talking about some who will throw really wildly, some with surprising power, and all without an ounce of caution.

Two of my favorite all-time courses---Stoney Hill and Gran Canyon---have/had crossing fairways. But these are private courses, Stoney Hill with never enough traffic outside of tournaments to be an issue.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 79
Generally, you shouldn't be in danger of being hit by players who are playing a hole correctly. Of course, Idlewild (the #2 course on DGCR) makes you walk across the middle of hole 11's fairway to get from basket 16 to tee 17, so it's not a hard and fast rule.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Private courses it works fine. Everywhere else it eventually is a problem. Just depends on how often. And who gets thrown on.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
I've seen some small town courses where this happens, and have played a few tournaments with temporary holes where we have done it. In those situations I think you can get away with it.

But honestly, if a planned permanent course is expected to get any type of serious traffic (like say more than two groups on it at any one time), avoid, avoid, avoid doing this please. Its an accident waiting to happen. Parallel fairways going in opposite directions cause enough problems.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
The question isn't crossing fairways as much as fairway interference. Fairways can be too close and be as much or more of a problem than crossing fairways. The main question is always whether players on one hole can see players on the nearby hole to wait until they've moved to a safer position or call "Fore" as needed.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The question isn't crossing fairways as much as fairway interference. Fairways can be too close and be as much or more of a problem than crossing fairways. The main question is always whether players on one hole can see players on the nearby hole to wait until they've moved to a safer position or call "Fore" as needed.
There is enough sight, to be sure, especially since one of the tees is elevated. Both shots are very open on the drives.

I understand the concern with middle schoolers. They will be well-supervised during an after-school club on this part of the course.

Keep the feedback coming, please!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 2
I think that you should give us a little more information. How close, in your estimate,are the fairways to each other? I think that crossing fairways and even walks to the next tee that are on fairways are always a bad idea but Im getting the feeling that the OP is just being very cautious (because of the middle schoolers) and that the case in question is very slight and he is just making extra sure.
with that said i think that more information would be really helpful in getting more insight as to whether or not this is going to be kosher or if something needs to be redesigned, picture would be ideal but footage would work too

Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 2
also, is this course going to be open to the public to play when school is not in, like during the summers and on the weekends? if so, there wont be any supervision and you wouldnt want to be the reason that people were hitting each other or crossing fairways because conflict on the course is something to be avoided at all costs if we are to continue to try to grow the sport, especially if the flaw can be avoided as early as the course design process