Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
Because those of us with kids. It's nice to be able to take my boys out to play a course with multiple pads. I can play longer pads and they can play shorter pads. Much more enjoyable for all of us.
I feel you there - I have 3 kids myself (grades 3-7). But IMO it is like asking a ski slope to groom a lane down a black diamond slope so the less skilled can play in the same area as the more skilled.

I would frame it to my kids as, "You know, there are some really hard courses out there that when you get better and can throw your disc farther and more accurately I will take you too. For now, lets see if we can get better on the hard holes on the easier courses we play since that will get us ready for the challenge of the really hard courses."

Alas, my kids are not too interested in playing disc golf - 3 short holes is about their interest level.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I feel you there - I have 3 kids myself (grades 3-7). But IMO it is like asking a ski slope to groom a lane down a black diamond slope so the less skilled can play in the same area as the more skilled.

I would frame it to my kids as, "You know, there are some really hard courses out there that when you get better and can throw your disc farther and more accurately I will take you too. For now, lets see if we can get better on the hard holes on the easier courses we play since that will get us ready for the challenge of the really hard courses."

Alas, my kids are not too interested in playing disc golf - 3 short holes is about their interest level.
I disagree. Adding additional tees is not nearly the same. I think where possible and funding allows, you make the course as inviting as possible. Goal is to grow the course.

My two youngest (7 & 8) will go a full 18 most of the time. Both enjoy playing and I wish I could find more tournamentss that were open to a juniors under 10 division.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I disagree. Adding additional tees is not nearly the same. I think where possible and funding allows, you make the course as inviting as possible. Goal is to grow the course.
That is a fine goal, but not necessarily the goal of every course owner.

Why can't there by championship level courses that are simply that? Do softball fields need to have shortened base paths and fences for little leaguers? Do skate parks need kiddie areas? Do playgrounds need adult size jungle gyms? Do competitive pools need wading areas for toddlers?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 161
Quote:
Because those of us with kids. It's nice to be able to take my boys out to play a course with multiple pads. I can play longer pads and they can play shorter pads. Much more enjoyable for all of us.

Not all who play Disc Golf are mid-20s single males with no life outside of the sport. We have wife's and kids who play.
Completely agree. Especially when disc golf courses are in public parks, they should be designed and constructed to provide a fun challenge for players of a wide range of skill levels.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOURNEYPLAYER View Post
so there is a course with long pads as punishing as Nevin with Short pads that are family friendly? where is that?
Yes there is a course for taking the family to. Reedy creek longs verses shorts is a good one as well as Kilbourne longs vs. shorts and Winget where one set of pads is good for all skill levels. Also you could add in the ultimate kid/family courses with Elon Eager and Bailey. Eagers long pads are challenging enough for the distances as I'm sure you remeber from the Queen City Showdown.

Not enough family/beginer courses in town Tourneyquitter?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:

My two youngest (7 & 8) will go a full 18 most of the time. Both enjoy playing and I wish I could find more tournamentss that were open to a juniors under 10 division.
i do agree with this sentament where there are very few courses in the area and you are wanting to grow the sport. There are many clubs that miss the point of adding shorter tees when courses are going in the ground in an area where disc golf is not as big. An example to me would be Luther Britt in Lumberton NC where it is hard to get people into the sport because the difficultly + lost disc factor is to much for newer players.

However as I said before I think that in a place like charlotte there is no reason to make a course like Nevin or into a short beginner friendly course. When there are 15 courses in a 30 min drive why not make it to where courses fit a target audience. If you want to take out the wife and kids you can go to the easier course but if you want to go challnge yourself with your buddies then head to the gold/blue level course.

Also Check out the NC State games at Bradford/Bailey this year. They have a juniors division that would play bailey rd park while you would play bradford. If you dont have a problem with them being at a seperate course it would be a good one for the family.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny ritner View Post
Completely agree. Especially when disc golf courses are in public parks, they should be designed and constructed to provide a fun challenge for players of a wide range of skill levels.
What if the park (or owner) has concerns about erosion, soil compaction, parking, and/or overcrowding? Keeping things low key and targeted at a small segment of the DG population will help achieve those goals.

I am not trying to be argumentative - I respect you Sadjo & Denny both for how you contribute here, but much more so for what you've contributed and continue to contribute to the DG scenes where you live. I just disagree with the thought (it seems its DGCR groupthink too) that courses are not good unless they are "dumbed down" to a point where they are good for everyone.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 199
I am with you Dave242. Nothing wrong with leaving some courses extremely challenging. It seems that most courses that try to be all to every skill level end up being good for no one in some ways. It would also seem the acreage and geography would somewhat dictate the best design for that particular course. No sense trying to mark a par 72 pro level course on 20 acres. Make that one family friendly.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
However as I said before I think that in a place like Charlotte there is no reason to make a course like Nevin or into a short beginner friendly course. When there are 15 courses in a 30 min drive why not make it to where courses fit a target audience.

Also Check out the NC State games at Bradford/Bailey this year. They have a juniors division that would play bailey rd park while you would play Bradford. If you dont have a problem with them being at a separate course it would be a good one for the family.
First of all when we're talking about public parks and being friendly to kids and new players, the local park is more likely where they're going to go...not thinking about driving somewhere else in town. It only makes sense to offer courses that can help build the sport be offering a short set of tees.

When I play longer more difficult courses with my kids that don't offer short tees, I'll through a Mako from the tee and my boys will play from where that lands. It works but it isn't the same as playing an actual tee.

I don't play tourneys much anymore...I would rather caddie for my kids...I can keep them focused and when Daddy's a caddie, my kids do play better.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
Yes there is a course for taking the family to. Reedy creek longs verses shorts is a good one as well as Kilbourne longs vs. shorts and Winget where one set of pads is good for all skill levels. Also you could add in the ultimate kid/family courses with Elon Eager and Bailey. Eagers long pads are challenging enough for the distances as I'm sure you remeber from the Queen City Showdown.

Not enough family/beginer courses in town Tourneyquitter?
you are misreading my post. you said there were courses like Nevin with Short pads. There are not. that was my point. Im not saying that I think it would be a good course to add short tees to, mainly because it will just cause all sorts of problems with the longs. and people getting hit etc. But, there is not one course in Charlotte where the same layout has two sets of tees, with one being as hard as the Nevin Longs.