Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 23
Getting the most out of a short 9 hole course

When I first started playing last April, I was challenged to par out on my local 9 hole course even though the longest hole was 260' with trees in play on all holes except the longest. Since learning to play better on 18+ hole courses, I found my local course getting more boring with time. However, after aquiring a range of slower discs, I have found a new way to maximize that 9 hole course and challenge myself immensely via my short game. I only drive/approach the basket once from the t-box, then choose a disc from my bag and move to a location where that disc would be ideal for the same basket. I drive/approach with 4 different discs then pick them up and move to the next basket without putting and even if a lone player is behind me, I pretty much stay ahead of him. I have only done this for about 10 times around but the options and variables seem to be pretty numerous.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Safari golf. Make up your own tee areas, throw to existing targets or if possible add a tonal or some other kind of target. We have a great 10 hole course that still surprises me with the different holes that people come up with.

Another suggestion is playing a reverse skip-a pin layout (your results may vary depending on the layout). I.e. throw from tee pad 1 to basket 8, then from tee pad 9 to basket 7, then from tee pad 8 to basket 6, and so forth until you hit tee pad 2 to basket 9.

Mix it up!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
Safari golf. That's a great way to utilize your short 9 hole course. My regular playing group at a local short nine...we play the regular 9 then we play a safari course. Each players picks a safari hole until we've played 9 total. Only rule is we have to use no basket twice in the safari round.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Birdie Member

Yea, there are about 5 different lists of safari golf that I have seen at this course and some are decent variations but I'm talking about picking a disc and moving to the exact location that that disc was designed for based on the type of approach you are making. Disc first, alternate t-pad second. Sort of a reversal on the traditional safari philosophy.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Birdie Member

Also, this is a solo venture just for concentrated, approach practice. If I pair up with others there, I suggest that the first to t-off choose any place to do so which includes a bit of the former and adds some chain putting practice to the mix.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
There is a nice little pitch and putt near me. I have yet to see another person out there although I can tell the course does get some use. The longest holes on the course are just over 200ft. Mids and putter only rounds with multiple throws on each hole. There are enough trees and good use of the little elevation available to make it interesting. A typical hole could be like this... Hornet to the left of that tree. How about my Meteor dead straight. Can I force my Voodoo around the right side of that tree? Its a great place to work on the finer points of approaches.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Birdie Member

That's basically it except I bring a few discs up to about speed 7 for overheads, skips, hyzer spikes, long annys, etc. Do you move off the original t-pad with your shots?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
i love playing short course with just a putter. it helps your game.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 101
When we play Safari Golf, we call multiple mandos including the type of shot that must be made of the first, second or third shot. None of our safari golf holes, most of the time, are less that a par 5. Most of the time theres on one shot that distance is a factor...and a lot of that still depends on placement.

Makes people think.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
260 foot max sounds like a 4 putters bag to me. Maybe some midranges depending on the shots you have to perform.

Or you play Safari and do whatever you want