Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to Theli420
Road Trip - Allentown, PA to Chicago, IL

Greetings! Looking for any good course recommendations close to I-80, between Hazleton, PA area and near the Indiana/Illinois border. I will likely be traveling in later May. Also, if there any good tournaments I could get involved in, I'd be up for suggestions for those, as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
In all honesty, I'd recommend paying for the premium membership just to use the route planner. Well worth it for trips like this.

That said, if you're taking I-80 across the state, you're not terribly far from Pymatuning, Slippery Rock, Moraine, and Deer Lakes. I guess Grove City has a course too. Oil City might be a bit out of your way but I know Dave McCormack from Gateway installed a course there not too long ago.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 50
If you are anywhere near the Indiana/Illinois border Lemon Lake and RLW are both very worthy stops
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Moraine for sure. Oh how I loathe Oil City.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post
If you are anywhere near the Indiana/Illinois border Lemon Lake and RLW are both very worthy stops
How close are they to I-80? I'm actually coming to Naperville. I just used Chicago for whatever purpose.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Moraine for sure. Oh how I loathe Oil City.
Moraine will be a separate mission this summer, for sure. If I have time, I'm going to throw there on the way back. What is bad about Oil City, aside from the tons of broken glass mentioned as cons in reviews?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theli420 View Post
How close are they to I-80? I'm actually coming to Naperville. I just used Chicago for whatever purpose.
It's not a huge detour to either. Rogers Lakewood is the best single course out of all of them, so that's what I would recommend if you only have time for one round. If you have more time, the Lemon Lake complex is a cool place. The blue course is not fully in right now, but the Silver/Gold course is excellent, the Red course has nice variety and the White course is pretty short and technical.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Moraine will be a separate mission this summer, for sure. If I have time, I'm going to throw there on the way back. What is bad about Oil City, aside from the tons of broken glass mentioned as cons in reviews?
I didn't even care about the glass. It's got a couple good holes, some ok, but I felt like it could be so much better. It probably didn't help being 100 degrees and I played Moraine and Knob Hill right before. But it was all the insane uphill walking, and never getting to play a decent downhill shot. I finally got to hole 18 near very top of the course/mountain and said finally I get to throw downhill! But that hole is terrible, you basically pitch a putter to the landing zone from the tee and then depending on the pin, you play flat or slightly uphill. Then you walk down some 100' elevation back to the parking lot. Hey, where's the cream filling?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 1149
Quote:
I enjoyed Oil City.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It's not a huge detour to either. Rogers Lakewood is the best single course out of all of them, so that's what I would recommend if you only have time for one round. If you have more time, the Lemon Lake complex is a cool place. The blue course is not fully in right now, but the Silver/Gold course is excellent, the Red course has nice variety and the White course is pretty short and technical.
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at both courses. The plan will be if I have time for two or more to go to Lemon Lake. If not, Rogers Lakewood. What makes Rogers Lakewood stand out, as opposed to Lemon Lake Silver/Gold?