Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hold these discs upside down at eye level and look at the inside corner of the rim. I could see fairly easily the very small rounded off edge of the mold. While I dont notice much difference when actually throwing it, I think you can just tell when you pull your fingers across the rim that it's a little different than most drivers.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
*cough* *cough* plus rim *cough*
There is absolutely no plus rim on either D1 or D4. Hold one before you comment.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgptBliDaEE

I didn't see a plus rim on mine.
wish u woulda smashed that tree and just said there's your plus rim
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 40
I don't know how they can patent the easy release technology since the undertow already has it
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankeye View Post
I don't know how they can patent the easy release technology since the undertow already has it
It's trademarked, not patented. I wish trademarks required the party to explain in writing what exactly is being trademarked. Is it a particular radius size on the bottom edge, movement of the parting line, etc. What stops the next manufacturer from releasing a disc with QRT, Quick Release Technology, applying similar design characteristics of the Prodigy discs?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 38
"trademark" simply refers to the name of the process in which the good is produced. "copywright" is the rights of said name or work in print.

Trademarks and Copywrights are extremely easy to get. Just fill out a sheet, send in some money and you got it. Patents are much, much harder to get...but easier to defend in court.

Anyway, my buddy geofflaw got his two Prodigy's yesterday. he has yet to throw them but I am holding the D1 as I type this. The D1 looks like some super beef. Big rim, high dome...it's a 175 and feels all of that weight. The plastic also doesn't feel as CE-esque as the D4. I can tell, without even throwing it, that I am not at a high enough skill level to throw this thing. It looks like a true pro-level driver. Obviously, guys like MikeC can put this thing on crush, but I'll hold off.

The D4 seems much more apt to my skill level. Very little dome, and my friends 172 feels about 5-10 grams lighter. The plastic is fery fingerprinty...it's NOT old CE, but it's not too far off either. It just feels right in my hand, and I usually don't throw understable stuff. It looks like a winner for more skill levels than the D1.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Sorry if there is a thread for this but I didn't see one.

I got about 5 or 6 throws in with each of these discs, FH and BH.

The plastic is extremely nice. Slightly flexible, very, very grippy for champion. They put out avery nice feeling champ style blend.

My D1 is blue and marked 172g. It flew like a Discmania DD with superior glide and distance but still what felt like a 0 HSS. Rather turn resistant but still solid D.

The D4 is marked 174g. It flew more along the lines of a Katana or worn Wraith. FH (Less power than my BH) on a hard, flat rip, it would turn over a touch, gliide a ton, then fade reliably. BH took me a few throws to dial in but once I did I was able to shape a ton of lines. Turnovers that fly low and come back at the end, huge sky turnovers that hold to the ground and some flattened hyzers. This is the longest flying disc I've thrown and I ha e never had such an effortless time hitting the 450-500' mark. I am excited to test this one in better conditions because it absolutely bombs on an 80% power throw with a touch of hyzer. It's looooong.

Excited to try each out some more. I see the D4 being the perfect compliment to my Quasars. The D1 is nice but it's pretty much a slightly shorter fresh Quasar from what I saw.

Obviously further testing will be required of each before I can really solidify my opinion of them, but so far they are both looking like solid molds.
Uh oh, Mike likes it. Now lets see what % of prodigy haters change their tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
*cough* *cough* plus rim *cough*
No
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 167
Threw the D1 yesterday, grippy plastic, and it was pretty overstable but I didn't really see anything that would get me to switch off a destroyer. I finally have some actual pictures off the wonderful Prodigy quality.

D1 poorly ground/formed rim v buzzz SS...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-29 12.34.06.jpg (79.0 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-29 12.33.51.jpg (82.4 KB, 583 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
1978, sure it wasn't a "tree" shaving of the disc? was this a brand new one, or a tester one (either way shouldn't have been allowed to be seen) just interesting.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Threw the D1 yesterday, grippy plastic, and it was pretty overstable but I didn't really see anything that would get me to switch off a destroyer. I finally have some actual pictures off the wonderful Prodigy quality.

D1 poorly ground/formed rim v buzzz SS...
I have two D1s and two D4s and have nothing like that.