Disc Golf Store
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
Throwing Style: RHBH
Since I throw a nuke for everything I do this if the hole requires it. Sometime I change my approach onto the teepad at 45 degrees and even yank a roller with my nuke. I also do the same thing with forehands. I call it a useful skill, others call it noobish. One day soon i'll try to learn an overhand.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 333
Throwing Style: RHFH
I throw that shot with my beefy as he11 gator. Not because I can't throw anything else but because it works well and is predictable. For your brothers, they probably get a little more distance letting it s-curve that just throwing it flat which leads to a hyzer with high speed drivers with not enough power.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 27
Every newer player I meet throws this way. No matter how much you try to drill it in their skull that it's counter-productive they still do it. They have to learn the hard way like the rest of us unfortunately.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
I learned it last year when I got a 164g Z Nuke that was way overstable. It was the only way I could get distance out of it. And btw, I am being serious in these posts.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces_in_illinois View Post
Every newer player I meet throws this way. No matter how much you try to drill it in their skull that it's counter-productive they still do it. They have to learn the hard way like the rest of us unfortunately.
This. Sooo true, totally know first hand. When I first got hooked I spent a lot of time looking at Innova's flight chart and picked up a Vulcan thinking it would compensate for my short noob hyzer throws. The only time I could get it to turn like the chart show was putting it on a ridiculous anny, so I thought for a couple of months that's how you're supposed throw. All I can say is I'm thankful for playing with better players, videos, and this place. It's cool that they're out there having fun and if they ever get serious they'll ask or figure it out themselves.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
I always hear people saying they do this and can throw 350's. Even if they can't hit the distance, that big sweeping motion it creates isn't that practical on alot of holes and situations. If you throw this on a tight fairway, you'll get a tree banger. I see this all to often.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

There are people who throw this way who suck, and people who make it work. They have one shot in their arsenal, and they are able to power it up and down and in general manipulate that shot to do what they want most of the time. They do tend to have a back full of Forces and Nukes and Xcals, and a putter. In my experience, these players also talk a lot about how many aces they've hit. And at my home course at least, they almost never play the long tees because there is a huge jump in difficulty because a much greater range of shots is required and a good short game is a must, which these guys don't have. They also don't tend to play much in leagues, tag matches, or just anything having to do with the club. They tend to stick to their own group of friends that they enjoy playing and competing with.

The secret to beating them is patience. Because they basically have one shot to rely on, the flex shot, they often have trouble dealing with wind, hitting tight lines, and getting out of trouble. So when it's a bit windy, they might go for the flex shot and the wine will hold the disc in the anny a bit too long, or push it down into the fade too quickly, or just completely turn the disc over. Then they have to rely on their terrible short game to recover. When you have a better understanding of the game and consistency in a greater range of shots, you just have to wait until their approach fails them.

This approach to the game is limited, and makes it hard to progress too--you're basically just fine tuning that one shot, the flex shot. It's not for me, because I think it's boring to throw the same shot over and over, and I really enjoy working on technique and building a broader range of skills. Some people might not care, and still have a lot of fun playing the game while hitting the occasional ace maybe, drinking beers with friends on a sunny day, and racking up some birdies on a relatively easy course layout.

Different strokes is what it is. But these guys have to be firing on all cylinders to keep up with me because I have better control, and I consider myself an average player in my area.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
There are people who throw this way who suck, and people who make it work. They have one shot in their arsenal, and they are able to power it up and down and in general manipulate that shot to do what they want most of the time. They do tend to have a back full of Forces and Nukes and Xcals, and a putter. In my experience, these players also talk a lot about how many aces they've hit. And at my home course at least, they almost never play the long tees because there is a huge jump in difficulty because a much greater range of shots is required and a good short game is a must, which these guys don't have. They also don't tend to play much in leagues, tag matches, or just anything having to do with the club. They tend to stick to their own group of friends that they enjoy playing and competing with.

The secret to beating them is patience. ....

Finally...there is a secret to beating noobs!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Finally...there is a secret to beating noobs!

You heard it here first.

There are some decent noobs who make their limited skill set work. They can shoot the occasional decent round and just enjoy playing that easier layout. And the easy, shorter layout is a great equalizer. I can throw my putter and park a 275' hole, but the guy throwing the Force on that hole gets the same birdie as everyone else. Unless I'm absolutely murdering the course that day, these guys can be competitive here and there, but they won't win in the long run. That's my point.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
You heard it here first.

There are some decent noobs who make their limited skill set work. They can shoot the occasional decent round and just enjoy playing that easier layout. And the easy, shorter layout is a great equalizer. I can throw my putter and park a 275' hole, but the guy throwing the Force on that hole gets the same birdie as everyone else. Unless I'm absolutely murdering the course that day, these guys can be competitive here and there, but they won't win in the long run. That's my point.
Amen to that, could not have been stated better.