Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
What are your expectations?

When I first started playing, I dreamed of par, and was thrilled when I got it. As your game progresses, you expect par. You learn to drive, approach, and putt better. Pretty soon you expect birdie on certain holes.

Where are you at in your game? Your rating might say one thing (if you have one), but what do you expect when you step up to the tee?

I'm at the point where I expect a 3 or better on all but the longest holes on my home course. On the short holes I expect a 2, and get ticked if I don't park it off the tee. Getting a 3 on short holes is no longer acceptable, but demoralizing.

If I'm 200 feet away from the basket, on an open hole, I assume I'll get there in one shot, and drop in for the putt.

Putting is another story. I'm still at the point where if I'm not 15 feet away, the putt might not fall. It's still the weakest point of my game.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
I just want to make a solid throw. I'm still very inconsistent. I make some good throws that are planned well and executed properly, many that are planned well and executed poorly and of course those that are poorly planned in the first place. ..........and I'm still learning my discs.

Curtis
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
a few guys on my card this past weekend were discussing this.

i took a lot of time off and just recently started back up this summer. while playing a course for the first time in august, i remember certain landmarks that were unattainable distance-wise from the teebox. i never dreamed of deucing a few of these holes.

after playing it last weekend, we were laughing at ourselves.

we were soaring past those landmarks we couldn't reach before and parking discs for drop in 2s, carving lines that we never saw before. it was a good time. i played like a pile of garbage... or so i thought, until i looked at an old score that i'd kept on my phone. what i thought was my worst was 4 strokes better than i'd been playing it all summer.

at this point in my game i feel like i should be able to give myself a shot at a deuce on any hole less than 350. my approaches are my strong point. i still have a problem with putting (don't we all), and right now i feel like anything outside of 20ft gives me a bit of trouble. its probably more mental than anything, but thats what i need to work on for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 155
Seems like several of us are on the same wavelength: I expect mostly 2's & 3's now, and take 4's as disappointments. Even though I seldom drive over 300', I expect to get up & down on relatively open holes out to 450' because that's now just an average drive, approach and putt.
I wish those were in deuce range, but at almost 52 years of age, I've got to be realistic about my max D.
Like y'all, I need to build confidence outside of a 20' putt. I watch a few dedicated players warming up and draining everything 40' and in, & know that it's attainable.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
On a 400-450 I'd expect a 3. However, my real expectation when starting to play was to have a good time with my son.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 153
When I first played Dabney just over 10 years ago, I shot +20 my first round. Now I've shot -1, Pier Park at par, Ann Morrison -7. I'm ready now to try to get Milo at or under par.
Yesterday I drove my Surge 425'. Greater than 350' has been unattainable for me---till now.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 48
I expect to shoot under par at whatever course I go to play. Whether I've played it before or not. Now, once I've played it, I have a basis for what I should score there. Anything 400' and in should at most be a three. longer than that is when I get iffy. I'm really confident in my putting, if I'm within 35' I expect to make the putt. Outside of there I accept misses.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Well in a few weeks I will officially have been playing for a full year!

When I started I was throwing a #1 flyer lightning disc, couldn't drive, couldn't putt, finishing courses +12 to +18 etc.

Since then I have learned much and gone to even and under par, and that is what I expect at this point.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHAFNER View Post
Anything 400' and in should at most be a three...
That's where I am as well. My home course's two longest holes are over 500 feet. I don't expect to 3 those, but have had good looks at a three, but missed the putts (of course). Once a hole gets past 450, it gets difficult for me to consistently reach in 2.

My last few rounds, I've also come to expect not to hit trees off the tee. My drives have become more precise, and relaxed. I feel like if you try and take off more than you can chew, you're hitting wood for sure.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
I want to give myself a shot in Open within the next 2 years. Means I need to get better distance, more consistency in the 25-35ft range putts, and capitalize on more birdie chances.