Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.3
Courses Played: 22
we are building a course in a public park and only have room for 9 permanent holes
however we do have plans for 2 tee positions (and 3 pin positions)
and with the 2 tees you can play 18 different holes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
I'm not saying that there needs to be tees for kids as much as courses in public parks that are blue/gold courses should have tees that are more suited for red level players.

When I mention playing with my kids, they can walk the longest courses but at 7 & 8 years old, throwing a 7-thousand foot course is a bit much. Fifty-five hundred feet, not so much.
I'd hedge the "should" to "it's preferable".

Not as important where there are multiple courses serving different skill levels, though still desirable if it can be done reasonably.

Stoney Hill is a poor example, in that it's a private, lightly-used course geared toward advanced players. But it's also instructive because many holes have no good place for red-level, or kids-level tees. I'd think some public courses, especially on very hilly land, have similar issues.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
David...one of the points I think is getting missed is not all new player will be aware of the wide variety of courses in the area. As an example...I introduced my nephews to disc golf a couple of summers ago. One of them really enjoyed playing. His dad, my brother in law, decided he need to take his son to play disc golf.

He found the nearest course to wear they lived and played. Being when I introduced my nephew we were visiting Minnesota and my sister brought her kids to visit. I took all the kids to play. So now one of them takes an interest, goes back home and now his dad, who is new to the sport, doesn't know better and ends up at a course in a public park as a new player with no idea he is in way over his head.

There needs to be an option for new players who discover the sport at their park...that's why public park courses need options for new players.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Fair point. But if you've got a gold-level course in a city other options, and for terrain or expense or other reasons it's not practical or reasonable to put in beginner tees, I don't agree that you need to do it anyway just for the rare beginner who starts out there and doesn't figure out that there are other, more appropriate courses nearby. It would be a thousand times easier to put a sign on the kiosk, indicating other nearby courses.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Fair point. But if you've got a gold-level course in a city other options, and for terrain or expense or other reasons it's not practical or reasonable to put in beginner tees, I don't agree that you need to do it anyway just for the rare beginner who starts out there and doesn't figure out that there are other, more appropriate courses nearby. It would be a thousand times easier to put a sign on the kiosk, indicating other nearby courses.
It would be easier....I very rarely see info on kiosks with information on nearby courses.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
It would be easier....I very rarely see info on kiosks with information on nearby courses.
Perhaps, but if the local club is concerned about beginners trying championship courses and not knowing there are better options, it would be easier to print up something and put it on the kiosk than to build 18 short tees. Even easier to built a kiosk if they don't have one.

It's an easier solution where shorter tees are impractical or unreasonable.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Anytime we've added info the kiosk at Shaver in Seneca, it disappears quickly. I don't believe any-other course in my area has a kiosk. I also don't think any of the courses in the Upstate area, other than Grand Central Station...maybe Easley, I would worry about new players biting off more than they can chew but this thread is about those style course in general, not specific courses.

One of the new courses we're hoping to get into the ground this year in North GA seriously calls for a Blue/Gold layout. The plans, however, will incorporate red tees from the beginning. Even though it will be private, pay to play course, the area that it is in will probably draw rec level players on a more regular basis with seasoned players only coming on weekends...due to its location.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
David...one of the points I think is getting missed is not all new player will be aware of the wide variety of courses in the area. As an example...I introduced my nephews to disc golf a couple of summers ago. One of them really enjoyed playing. His dad, my brother in law, decided he need to take his son to play disc golf.

He found the nearest course to wear they lived and played. Being when I introduced my nephew we were visiting Minnesota and my sister brought her kids to visit. I took all the kids to play. So now one of them takes an interest, goes back home and now his dad, who is new to the sport, doesn't know better and ends up at a course in a public park as a new player with no idea he is in way over his head.

There needs to be an option for new players who discover the sport at their park...that's why public park courses need options for new players.

This doesn't apply to Nevin. It is poorly promoted and barely visible to the public. There is little to do that draws in the disc golf demographic. Hornet's nest right down the road is easily visible to anyone visiting that park. Its is used more for parties, basketball, and baseball. People fish in the lake...

I find that the only people that really ask me about short tees for Nevin are out of towners. Sure many locals would play the course more with shorter pads, but they wouldnt be playing Nevin, so what is the point. Nevin was built long. Too often, longs are shoe horned in once a shorter course starts to wear in and bore the locals. Any of the proposed or discussed long holes out there would be in areas of longer transitions (like the new 11) Any play of the short course requires full traversing of the course. I could see shorter tees in areas where distance is at a premium... If you have water, canyon, or trouble carries, sure a shorter tee for the less skilled should be offered. There is none of that at Nevin.

Personally, and I know Stan feels the same way, I would like more people to experience Nevin. I, however, do not think it should be done at the expense of the beauty, difficulty, safety, or cleanlyness of the course.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
Sadjo are you saying the rec tees should be framed tees or just marked by a post or rock?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
One of the new courses we're hoping to get into the ground this year in North GA seriously calls for a Blue/Gold layout. The plans, however, will incorporate red tees from the beginning. Even though it will be private, pay to play course, the area that it is in will probably draw rec level players on a more regular basis with seasoned players only coming on weekends...due to its location.
Excellent. Don't get me wrong---I think multiple tees are generally a good idea, especially if designed from the beginning. But, in my opinion, they're not needed on every public course.

Nevin has been cited but the example I think of is Renny---though it's been so long since I played there I'm not certain about it. I'm not sure it needs short or beginner holes, with so many other options in town.