Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Holed Out??

During a tournament round my group noticed this basket and thought it was unusual, but it brought up a question. Could you really hole out without being above the basket. I snapped the picture afterword. Note: the disc is not touching the pole, it is completely supported by the chain assembly. As I read in the new rules booklet that is all that is required to hole out.

What's the verdict - yes or no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130309_141156.jpg (152.0 KB, 95 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Without seeing the rule book, I'm gonna say no. It must be between the basket and top part of the chains.

Here's the rule:

Quote:
Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Last edited by BigSky; 03-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 63
A.Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Par Member

But that's the thing. The rules book doesn't say anything about being above the basket. It says that it must "come to rest supported by chains and/or the inner cylinder of the tray. So the way that I take it - chains or basket...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Since it's not a PDGA Approved target with the extended chains, it's up to the TD or players in the group to determine the legal ways a disc can hole out on that target. However, the Holing Out rule 802.05 would indicate that a disc that enters the target below the top of the tray is not holed out. It looks like that's the case here.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 32
I think this clarifies that it isn't holed out...

A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGA Rules
Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
It does not look good, considering that the disc "entered" the chains from below the basket.

EDIT: Looks like a few fellas beat me to it.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Dang, Dusty beat me to it. Isn't that basket not to standards? No disc should be able to do what that disc did, if the basket is in proper working order, to specs.

Edit: Dang, Chuck beat me to it. I give up.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Doesn't the PDGA approve catching devices? If so, something tells me that chains that length relative to the basket wouldn't be a PDGA approved catching device. Looks like someone modified those to extend below the tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Since it's not a PDGA Approved target with the extended chains, it's up to the TD or players in the group to determine the legal ways a disc can hole out on that target. However, the Holing Out rule 802.05 would indicate that a disc that enters the target below the top of the tray is not holed out. It looks like that's the case here.
Thought so!

Just out of curiousity, did that disc end up that way from an actual throw, or did was it placed there as a "hypothetical?" Looks like an unlikely position, but I wasn't there.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Par Member

still playing devil's advocate, it didn't get into the chain assembly by entering through the cylinder wall or through the top of the of the chain assembly. The rule doesn't state that it must come to rest above the lower cylinder wall (bottom of basket).

The way that I see it, as letter of the rules go, the best argument for being not holed out is that the basket does not meet technical standards.