Disc Golf Store
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Pre-registering for tournaments

I have never understood the resistance to pre -register for tournaments. If you are a TD would you prefer no day of registration? We have 20 people pre-registered for our Ice Bowl this weekend and last year we had a total of around 80 players which the majority were locals. What can we do to encourage pre-registration? A few years back I approached a possible sponsor a couple of weeks before a tournment and I told him we would have 90 players play. The sponsor then went to the pdga website and we had around 40 players pre registered and he seemed to think there was no way we would have 90.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 20
that does seem like an issue for orderin packs as well. just keep it at whatever was preregistered and lock everyone else out. that's what will make people pre register. but its only going to work if every td refuses the walk ons.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 20
on the other hand, my work schedule determines what I can do, so I can't plan anything untill the day before lately, so I would not want to pay for a tournament and then not be able to go, so I will wait untill the day of the tournament.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 79
Weather. The main reason I always hear.

Charge $5 more for day-of signup.......... send the extra cash to the Ice Bowl charity.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 56
Locally we're starting to move to pre-reg only (ie. no day-of registration) for bigger tournaments.

Unless you have good sponsorship or the host club has available finances, it is very difficult to plan an event; personally, I am usually putting out my own money up front - if a TD can and will do that, then it's fine, but there are a lot of TD's and clubs that can't.

Please help a TD/club out and pre-register as early as you can, thank you
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 31
preregister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
Weather. The main reason I always hear.

Charge $5 more for day-of signup.......... send the extra cash to the Ice Bowl charity.
This^^

I wont preregister before the week of normally so i have some idea of what the weather will be like. I dont want to preregister only to have to play in the rain. Especially cold and rain together.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanter2376 View Post
This^^

I wont preregister before the week of normally so i have some idea of what the weather will be like. I dont want to preregister only to have to play in the rain. Especially cold and rain together.
Remember the Ice Bowl motto......

I've been plugging the forecast and posting pictures of the course to show everyone the condition and still I only have 41 pre reg'd for the Ice Bowl this Saturday.

The last two years, there's been over 60 players at this event.

Last edited by CaptainAnhyzer; 02-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
I've often done the $5 extra for day-of registrations, usually phrasing it as "$5 off for pre-registering." We give vouchers for Am players packs so pre-ordering a particular number of specific items isn't an issue.

TDs can always require pre-registration, at the risk of lower attendance. Some events around here have enough draw that they fill in advance, which solves the issue.

Bearing in mind that many people have legitimate reasons for being uncertain whether they can attend until the last minute, and thus for not pre-registering.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 56
+1 on charging an extra amount for day-of registration, if you're going to have it.

I had an early bird registration for my Ice Bowl this year and it saved players $10; everyone in the early bird registration was also entered in a draw. I had 24/65 players in the early bird reg, and another 26 pre-registered at least a week prior. This was due to a limit of players packs; first 50 registered - that's another good way to get people to pre-register.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 101
I think offering an incentive is best way to go. No player pack unless registered one week ahead of time works. I've done event whereas players didn't get a choice of player packs (I've done choices...shirt, disc or something else) and given the leftovers to day of players. That seemed to make some of them mad...I simply tell them they should have preregistered.