Disc Golf Center

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: # of bad throws (not counting putts)
0-1 per round (Seldom blow up) 6 4.80%
2-4 per round 53 42.40%
4-6 per round 46 36.80%
6-9 per round (one every other hole) 15 12.00%
9-18 per round (almost one every hole) 4 3.20%
More than 1 per hole (hitting trees all the time) 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Consistency??

I was out doing some field work today and every once in a while a throw just crashed and burned. It made me wonder - what percentage of throws actually turn out pretty much like I want? I'm not talking perfect just pretty much in the right trajectory.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Only one way to find out. You need to start keeping stats. I wish DG had more stats. Trees hit off tee, putts made, "fairways" hit, OB per round...etc. We could keep a bunch of stats.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
I just realized that "tree hits off tee" sounds kind of dumb. But, you know what I mean.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 54
I'll have to admit that I'm pretty inconsistent and just blow up about once every 3 or 4 holes. Smack a tree of the tee or just shank a drive/approach about 5-10 deg off angle from what I wanted.
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 163
I've kept notes since I started playing, and usually try to focus on the positives. I usually note when I touch metal on an approach or a putt, for instance, so technically, it's possible to dig back through and see if that high score hole was due to poor play, or a near miss.

...but I know what you mean, it would be interesting to keep more info, and particularly the 'fairways hit' idea. Not that making amazing recovery shots, (or having to practice them often ) won't force your game to improve!
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to whiplash
That's why I like easy scorecard. It tracks putts. Fairway hits, and scramble stats.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 41
I've found that if I'm throwing bad I throw BAD. I have a hard time turning things back around. I guess you could say all my bad throws are "lumped together" and it takes a nice looking throw or an easy hole to turn things back around for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoate7 View Post
I've found that if I'm throwing bad I throw BAD. I have a hard time turning things back around. I guess you could say all my bad throws are "lumped together" and it takes a nice looking throw or an easy hole to turn things back around for me.
Lol, bad days are just the worst. I don't even keep score on those days lol. Oh I'm throwing every drive too high? Yea... Let's just throw mids and putters. lol

Now that I play more conservative than ballsy my number has dropped from 15-20 a round to 3-4 a round. My drives unless the hole is completely wide open and I'm warmed up, are just placement shots. I play the angles instead of distances. I can hit lines from 300ft in, so I just give my self the proper location to throw a certain disc in my bag.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Depending on how demanding the course is, I'll throw about 5 or so of what I feel are bad shots in a given round... typically off the tee. I do pretty well with upshots.

must be the concrete!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
While this can be a lively discussion, there is too much subjectivity here. I do not have purely great and absolutely devastating shots. The majority of my round is usually average shots where I know I could do better but I am also not in a position where par is in danger. So, if you are looking at poorly ugly shots where strokes are adding to my score purely off of drives, then I am looking at 1 or 2 drives per 18. That increases to 2 to 3 per 18 if a densely wooded course.

The subjectivity comes in here because I pride myself on my second shots, and I have saved innumerable pars after mediocre-at-best drives. So the end result is that I have not lost anything because my drive was not so bad that I could not recover from it.