Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: # of bad throws (not counting putts)
0-1 per round (Seldom blow up) 6 4.80%
2-4 per round 53 42.40%
4-6 per round 46 36.80%
6-9 per round (one every other hole) 15 12.00%
9-18 per round (almost one every hole) 4 3.20%
More than 1 per hole (hitting trees all the time) 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
That's why I like easy scorecard. It tracks putts. Fairway hits, and scramble stats.
I wish I could get this on my windows phone
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
The subjectivity comes in here because I pride myself on my second shots, and I have saved innumerable pars after mediocre-at-best drives. So the end result is that I have not lost anything because my drive was not so bad that I could not recover from it.
This. Over, and over, and over again. My drives are improving though, especially lately.

Now, if I could just improve my ******* putting.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 167
Quote:
While this can be a lively discussion, there is too much subjectivity here. I do not have purely great and absolutely devastating shots. The majority of my round is usually average shots where I know I could do better but I am also not in a position where par is in danger. So, if you are looking at poorly ugly shots where strokes are adding to my score purely off of drives, then I am looking at 1 or 2 drives per 18. That increases to 2 to 3 per 18 if a densely wooded course.

The subjectivity comes in here because I pride myself on my second shots, and I have saved innumerable pars after mediocre-at-best drives. So the end result is that I have not lost anything because my drive was not so bad that I could not recover from it.
I'm pretty word-smithy, but "C'mon man!"

If you think it's a bad shot, then it's a bad shot. We're not talking about meh shots.... it asked for bad shots. If a shot isn't likley to cost you a stroke, then it ainlt bad. May not bee the shat it shoulda been, or that you wanted to execute, but if it really shouldn't cost you a stroke, then how "bad" can it be? a 3 is a 3 , and a 2 is a 2 on the score card. No one's comparing you to Climo.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I just realized that "tree hits off tee" sounds kind of dumb. But, you know what I mean.
It doesn't sound dumb at all. It does have that "stoners hit off bong" kind of mantra, though. You know what I mean?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
I would say in the 3 to 4 range, but my home course is a 9 hole... Should kinda make a distinction for that. Then again, what do you call a bad shot. Griplock in the completely wrong direction, or just a tree hit on a tunnel hole you usually hit?
I'm counting the tree hits in my estimation.
This game is a tricky mistress!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
I took this as just an unbelievably bad shot that doesn't make any sense. Not a barely off that hits a tree, or gets caught in the wind, but just a major grip lock or slip out early. Yeah my second shot can recover, but that doesn't mean the first shot wasn't horrible.

Mine normally occur when I'm trying to do too much with the shot. Either throw too hard, put more hyzer or anhyzer on it than normal, etc. If I just played a tad more conservative I'd knock these out of my rounds... But where's the fun in not going all out, haha
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm pretty word-smithy, but "C'mon man!"

If you think it's a bad shot, then it's a bad shot. We're not talking about meh shots.... it asked for bad shots. If a shot isn't likley to cost you a stroke, then it ainlt bad. May not bee the shat it shoulda been, or that you wanted to execute, but if it really shouldn't cost you a stroke, then how "bad" can it be? a 3 is a 3 , and a 2 is a 2 on the score card. No one's comparing you to Climo.
And thus for the sake of talking about really bad shots I still answered 1 to 2 on an open or mixed course and 2 or 3 on a wooded course on a normal day. Of course I have had much better days, but they are few and far between. I have had days where even my second shots could not save me from those bad shots hitting double digits.

I guess it is more academic than anything else because at the end of the day we all understand what BAD shot means. However, what I originally pointed out is that my ratio of bad shots seems a lot lower because of my second shots, not because my "meh" first shot is any better than anyone else's bad shot. Again for academic sake, your definition of bad versus meh shots is directly related to your ability and confidence in making par. If you have zero confidence in that second shot, a drive that glances off a drive and kicks behind one obstacle is going to be a horrendously bad shot.

As for a comparison to Ken, I would not dare or imply; I struggle to make any putt over 15 feet. That is why I have worked so hard on my second shots, to take putting out of the equation.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
This. Over, and over, and over again. My drives are improving though, especially lately.

Now, if I could just improve my ******* putting.
The next poll: how many bad putts do you throw in a round?

At the Winter Carnival it is 28 holes of Innova Travelers. In 28 holes I putted 40+ times. 12 bogeys against 2 birdies (granted there were two holes which were likely legitimate par 4s but for the sake of score keeping we counted them as 3). Only on two holes I did not putt because it was parked under the basket. I also three putted no less than 6 times where the first putt was no more than 30 feet out. The wind and baskets were not kind to me.

The second round was better with 4 bogeys to 5 birdies. Two of those bogeys were the "par 4s" and only once did I three putt away a birdie. I did miss 6 more birdie opportunities but again it was a difficult day putting in general. I went from 10 over to 1 under, but I can only recall one horrendous drive the first round and none the second. If you saw this temp course, it is too open to have bad shots and thus skews my bad shot ratio even more. Putting, however, is a totally different beast.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
The next poll: how many bad putts do you throw in a round?
No reason for a poll. Simple answer: # of putts - # of holes = x

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 167
Quote:
And thus for the sake of talking about really bad shots I still answered 1 to 2 on an open or mixed course and 2 or 3 on a wooded course on a normal day. Of course I have had much better days, but they are few and far between. I have had days where even my second shots could not save me from those bad shots hitting double digits.

I guess it is more academic than anything else because at the end of the day we all understand what BAD shot means. However, what I originally pointed out is that my ratio of bad shots seems a lot lower because of my second shots, not because my "meh" first shot is any better than anyone else's bad shot. Again for academic sake, your definition of bad versus meh shots is directly related to your ability and confidence in making par. If you have zero confidence in that second shot, a drive that glances off a drive and kicks behind one obstacle is going to be a horrendously bad shot.

As for a comparison to Ken, I would not dare or imply; I struggle to make any putt over 15 feet. That is why I have worked so hard on my second shots, to take putting out of the equation.
I think I see your point: if you hit a tree, but you save par because of a great 2nd shot, it doesn't mean the 1st shot didn't suck. What you're getting at is that you don't necessarily think every bad shot costs you a stroke, because your 2nd shots are good enough to occasionally to bail you outta the trouble you found on you tee shot (thats my game). And confidence goes to thinking the bad shot didn't necessarily cost you a stroke.

Still, you darn well know you threw like garbage off the tee = bad shot.
It works both ways: Saving par doesn't necessarily negate mistakes - maybe it shoulda been a deuce.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-03-2013 at 03:10 AM.