Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: # of bad throws (not counting putts)
0-1 per round (Seldom blow up) 6 4.80%
2-4 per round 53 42.40%
4-6 per round 46 36.80%
6-9 per round (one every other hole) 15 12.00%
9-18 per round (almost one every hole) 4 3.20%
More than 1 per hole (hitting trees all the time) 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Saving par doesn't necessarily negate mistakes - maybe it shoulda been a deuce.
Saving par, means something went wrong. Lol. I save par more than I should lol.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
Saving par, means something went wrong.
BINGO! How did I miss that bit of logic?
I love explanations that are simple yet elegant.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
On average I have about 2-4 terrible shots that I either griplock, or miss my line completely each round on more difficult courses that require finesse. I have little of that off the box. But, my second shot after that bad throw is what I focus on. After that, its just disc choice and course management. If I get those two things right, I can generally put myself in a position to save a par. On harder, more technical holes, I might just pitch out to the fairway and play for my 4. Iv'e found that when I go for too much I get in more trouble.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
This is a tough poll for me to answer, it really depends on the day. I either consistently suck for the day, or I consistently play average for the day and have random moments of glory.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
My most recent round on my very technical course I shot even and I had 5 if I remember correctly. 14 of my drives were great, all but one ridiculous upshot was great, and I only had one bad putt inside the circle. This is a personal best for sure so I hope it's the norm for me in the future. Before I averaged probably ~+5 per round hitting lots of trees, throwing high/nose up, throwing low or short, and not having good enough accuracy to birdie on this heavily wooded course. I got a lot of bogeys because of all the stuff in my way after the bad drives. Also my poor long open upshots and 20+ putts took some strokes. My form, power, accuracy, precision, and putting all improved immensely after playing 2-3 rounds every day I could over my month long winter break. Playing alone is so much more productive for me than even playing with people better than me.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Cool dude

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 19
I would say that I have never had the perfect round where all my drives went exactly where I intended.....so I voted 2-4 times.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
Bad shots = Your Score - Course SSA (SSE will do in most cases)

That is, if you are trying to shoot Scratch golf.
Add your target handicap if your goal is different than that

Last edited by Dave242; 02-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 54
Not exactly - I can think of a couple reasons you might not make SSA / SSE that aren't what I was thinking about. Noob with short but very accuracte drives. Accurate drives but suck at putting.

I was wondering about how many times folks have throws (drive and approach not putt) that they just watch and say "WTF - I screwed that up!!"
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 368
The reason why I think using SSA (adjusted for desired/target handicap) is good is that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a real screw-up is.

Sure, we all have moments where we totally grip-lock a drive 45-90 degrees off-course, or have a 30' putt hit the ground before the basket. Maybe that is what you talking about in this poll/thread. That is fine.....it is fun to laugh at ourselves!

But, I see comments in this thread about people trying to eliminate/reduce screw-ups. If your screw-ups are not affecting your score.....then how can you call them screw-ups? A handicap has a calculated amount of screw-ups built in for the level of player. So if I want to be a 950 rated player on a course with an SSA/SSE of 48 (a typical course), I should be scoring around 53. Every stroke above that is caused by a screw-up.

Anecdotally, some blow-ups are followed by an amazing recovery (so there is no penalty for the blow-up). Some blow-ups are followed by an OK recovery (one stroke added), or followed by another blow-up (2 or more strokes added). Sometimes it is just a small miss that adds a stroke......but that stroke averages/cancels out the blow-up with excellent recovery. You can argue stroke-by stroke if this works.....but over the long term (say 10+ rounds) it is a great/accurate indicator.

If you are consistent and feel like you do not have many big blow-ups (grip-locks, "nice up" putts, etc) but are still not performing to your desired handicap.......well, you need to reassess what a big blow-up for you is. That is the main point of why I think SSA/SSE is extremely useful in assessing and eliminating the errors.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 51
Wow you guys are way more consistent than me.