Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Trend in disc prices.

Okay, so I understand HukLab trifly looks sweet and it is pretty legit that Innova actually produced Champ Glow Gators, but...

Prices are getting jacked. Fast. Innova now knows that they can just feed things through the pro-shop and have exclusive rights, and now they are releasing discs that everyone wants to throw in limited runs and its costing so much money. Discraft is doing the same thing through DynamicDiscs.

It just makes me sad that if I want to buy a Glo Zone, I can't do it for a reasonable price, I have to go through the atrocious pricing of DynamicDiscs. If I want a pro rhyno I have to pay whatever the stupid price of shipping is that the proshop for innova has. And if I want a GL Pure (not RGL), I have to pay $25 for a shield stamp to a local shop or buy one off the MP for just as much. It just makes me sad that these discs that I want to throw are becoming so expensive so quickly. And it isn't because they are "better" discs. That has literally nothing to do with it.

Even though I don't like to throw MVP discs (they are fine just dont suite my style) they have kept their hands out of this and I appreciate that more than anything. Westside and discmania also seem to be doing a great job, but Discmania is owned by Innova (or whatever the relationship is) and the P3 may be the beginning.

Am I alone in this?

Also. Why in the world are Huk Lab discs as expensive as they are?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Throwing Style: RHBH
Discs get priced at whatever people are willing to pay for them. I don't fault companies for charging what they can get for certain discs. I'm never going to pay those prices, I can find discs that fly great for me at stock prices, but if those companies can stay in business by hitting those niches as well as the standard production stuff more power to them.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
Am I alone in this?

it's a business. they see an opportunity to make more money, they do it.

huk lab? duh everyone knows the tri fly adds 15% to all of your drives.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 121
Quote:
..... And it isn't because they are "better" discs. That has literally nothing to do with it.

Even though I don't like to throw MVP discs (they are fine just dont suite my style) they have kept their hands out of this and I appreciate that more than anything. Westside and discmania also seem to be doing a great job, but Discmania is owned by Innova (or whatever the relationship is) and the P3 may be the beginning.

Am I alone in this?

What do you mean by "better"? They don't perform better?

In some way they must be better. even if its just the look or the stamp. Better = more desirable = higher demand = higher price. Simple economics.

Better in one way or another has everything to do with it.

Last edited by jsc430; 02-05-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
it's a business. they see an opportunity to make more money, they do it.

huk lab? duh everyone knows the tri fly adds 15% to all of your drives.
i think the tri fly does some kind of gyro voodoo on the disc, that's how it works. not only does it add more distance, it stays straighter longer too.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
What do you mean by "better"? They don't perform better?
This is a great point. I meant purely in production quality, the actual materials. I know that its economics, it's just frustrating that it costs 20 dollars for a Z drone, because they only made 500 or whatever.

Over the last year it has become rapidly more common, that is my concern. You are definitely correct though, I agree 100%
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 62
they only way "premium" discs prices are going to go down is if people stop buying them, which isn't gonna happen anytime soon. as more and more people get into the sport the market for higher end gear grows too. how many are there here on the board who have been playing for like 1-2 years with $200 bags and 20 discs? there's also the mental aspect like in ball golf, that by having better equipment i'm going to be a better player. there also wouldn't be so many new manufacturers popping up if there wasn't money to be made. somebody running a for profit company has it in their best interest to charge as much as they can get away with before sales start to decline...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 87
Eclipse mvp runs $20-22 around here. I wouldn't call that keeping out of it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
If you don't want to pay $20 for a disc, don't. There are ESP Zones and FLX Drones at stock prices. I like the idea that the special discs exist. I'd rather have them available (even at a higher price) than not exist at all.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 174
Quote:
This is a great point. I meant purely in production quality, the actual materials. I know that its economics, it's just frustrating that it costs 20 dollars for a Z drone, because they only made 500 or whatever.

Over the last year it has become rapidly more common, that is my concern. You are definitely correct though, I agree 100%
In some cases the manufacturers don't run molds in certain plastics because of quality issues. There are some discs that just don't come out of the mold right in certain plastic, and as a result have a lot of x-outs, rejects, etc. It's just not cost effective to produce them to sell at the same price as other discs in that plastic.

I'm not saying that this is the case for every limited run of discs out there, but it is for a lot of them.