Disc Golf Store
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Kentucky in February

I live in Minnesota. This winter has been pretty cold and some friends and I were thinking about trekking south to escape the harsh climate for some 'warmer' disc golf rounds. I have a few ideas for where to go, but I really like the idea of hitting up Idlewild, Holler in the Hills, and a few of the courses in the Bowling Green area for an extended weekend. My question is, what's the weather like Kentucky at the end of February? I'd be willing to drive all that way if it's going to be 40+. So Kentuckians ... how's the weather that time of the year?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 53
Well, not to disappoint, but you really can never be sure here. I played two rounds the week before Christmas in a t-shirt. Now, its barely getting above freezing. In February, it very well could be in the 60s or the 20s. Kentucky, especially here in the "Bowling Green Bubble," is notorious for strange weather. Two years ago I saw people riding around with the tops down on their convertibles on New Years Day.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 27
Here's a quick link from a search...

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USKY1079

Tim S.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 42
Come in mid to late february and it should be in the 40s... maybe 50s. Last year was strange and we were in the 60s a lot during the "winter". Normally, at least in the Ashland, Huntington, Portsmouth tristate region, February is the snowiest month.... but nothing like Minnesota I'm sure.

I would highly recommend Holler in the Hills... maybe even more so than Idlewild. If you make it to the Cincy area hit up these courses:

Idlewild
Mt. Airy
Osage Grove (when it is finished)
Lincoln Ridge (most fun of all of these IMHO)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2avity View Post
I live in Minnesota. This winter has been pretty cold and some friends and I were thinking about trekking south to escape the harsh climate for some 'warmer' disc golf rounds. I have a few ideas for where to go, but I really like the idea of hitting up Idlewild, Holler in the Hills, and a few of the courses in the Bowling Green area for an extended weekend. My question is, what's the weather like Kentucky at the end of February? I'd be willing to drive all that way if it's going to be 40+. So Kentuckians ... how's the weather that time of the year?
I think we briefly talked about this the other day while shooting at Plymouth, but I am heading to BG in April for the BG Ams. Never been there and by the time I do get there it would be time for check-in and start.

If you get a chance, take pictures or videos of the courses so I can see what I am in store for so I am not going into that tournament completely blind.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 61
As everyone else has said the weather here you just never know about anymore. If traveling 65 don't forget the Louisville area courses: Charlie Vettiner (glow round every Tuesday at 6:30), Iroquois, Seivern Lang, Buffalo Trace, Muldraugh, Otter Creek, just to name a few of the would plays.

If you do decide to play in Louisville, let me know.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
Well, not to disappoint, but you really can never be sure here. I played two rounds the week before Christmas in a t-shirt. Now, its barely getting above freezing. In February, it very well could be in the 60s or the 20s. Kentucky, especially here in the "Bowling Green Bubble," is notorious for strange weather. Two years ago I saw people riding around with the tops down on their convertibles on New Years Day.
Sounds like Minnesota in March. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on your weather down there as we get closer to the end of February.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Come in mid to late february and it should be in the 40s... maybe 50s. Last year was strange and we were in the 60s a lot during the "winter". Normally, at least in the Ashland, Huntington, Portsmouth tristate region, February is the snowiest month.... but nothing like Minnesota I'm sure.

I would highly recommend Holler in the Hills... maybe even more so than Idlewild. If you make it to the Cincy area hit up these courses:

Idlewild
Mt. Airy
Osage Grove (when it is finished)
Lincoln Ridge (most fun of all of these IMHO)
Yeah, I've yet to really start planning a course "wish-list" for the trip. I guess that's because I'm still waiting to see what the weather is like going through the next couple of months.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I think we briefly talked about this the other day while shooting at Plymouth, but I am heading to BG in April for the BG Ams. Never been there and by the time I do get there it would be time for check-in and start.

If you get a chance, take pictures or videos of the courses so I can see what I am in store for so I am not going into that tournament completely blind.
I will for sure. I'm debating on whether or not to go to them. Might be too big of an expense for me. I'm hoping to get my points in Iowa at the end of May and possibly playing in the Majestic (Int.) ... not sure.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post

Ha, i'm going to be searching you tube hardcore as the months go on to get myself prepared for my first BG Ams as well. Already printed out scorecards, aerial views, course maps, etc to try and start familiarizing myself with the shots I "may" need so i can practice at my local courses/fields.