Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Forehand Tips

Any tips on forehand throws? I tend to turn my wrist a little when I throw but it is hard not to do it sometimes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
Any tips on forehand throws? I tend to turn my wrist a little when I throw but it is hard not to do it sometimes
Practice with Neutral to Understable discs that force you to throw cleanly.

Try to keep your palm pointed to the sky all the way through.

Take a video and post it in the form analysis/critique section.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Thanks partner
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Just don't let the palm face the ground. Palm up is not a natural wrist snapping motion unless its a hyzer.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 23
Throwing with a slight hyzer can help you eliminate a lot of wrist-roll at the release point. It will also help you adjust your hyzer/anhyzer angles. Most of the FH throwers I have seen can only throw on an anhyzer release using overstable discs. Definitely use neutral to slightly understable discs to clean up your FH form.

Also, your grip can also have an impact on how much wrist-roll you have at the release. A forked grip will have your hand more palm up throughout the throwing motion than a two finger stacked grip which in turn is more palm up than a two finger power grip. The power grip will have your palm more perpendicular to the ground. Find a grip that helps you keep your wrist from rolling. Then work on eliminating OAT and then you can start experimenting with power.

The key points that I always work on are keeping my elbow relatively tight against my body, keeping my wrist loose (so it can go from open to closed as fast as possible at the release), throwing smoothly without strong-arming, and following through. Like anything, it takes a lot of practice.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
While it might not be the most powerful, a one finger flick works fine also and is what I used forever until I broke my knuckle and switched to a two finger smush, index on rim.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
learn how to flick putters, especially on anhyzer lines. hyzers are easy. keep your elbow tight to your body while you are learning the form. get a good hip turn and you will find a ton of power that you have been neglecting.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
I roll my wrist either at the same time as the hit or just after I've never really analyzed it, but I find if I don't my shot turns and burns. When I do roll my wrist my shot starts as a hyzer and flips flat then glides out for 325-350 but I've never been able to get it out passed that, but then again I've always found if I need to go further than that on a left to right shot (rhbh) I just throw a backhand anhyzer...I guess my question is why does it seem that my wrist roll helps me, but everything I've ever read on this site about th suggests the opposite? My guess is I probably have OAT that is compensted for by the twist roll or some combination of that.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 23
depster,

In my experience, you have to roll your wrist at some point. That point just has to be after the disc leaves your hand. You're palm just needs to be facing the same way at the beginning and the ending of the hit. After the release, you're wrist rolling over is part of the follow through. In my opinion, this needs to happen for a proper follow through. For me, OAT is caused by my wrist rolling over during the hit. If I roll over during the hit, I turn and burn, if I roll the wrist after the release, the flight is what it should be. If I roll my wrist before my wrist starts to close (start of the hit), the disc will hit the ground 10' in front of me.

As for getting past that 350 mark, I would think you would need more hip rotation. This is what I struggle with myself. I can hit 350' with a one-step, toe-dragging, 95% power throw. I can't seem to get my hips more into my throw though. If I could only stop this stupid toe-dragging. This is the primary reason I'm throwing BH more and more. I'm pretty accurate up to 320' with my FH but it is becoming easier to get longer distances BH.

Last edited by Fraser; 02-18-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
I used to drag my toe when I pitched in high school to get me too stop my coach made me really exaggerate my push off the rubber. You could try pushing off with your back foot and just exaggerate it more. I know that throwing a disc and a baseball are completely different ideas but throwing fh and throwing a baseball sidearm are not all that different except in the hit you achieve when you throw a disc. Just concentrate more on lifting your back oot, but exaggerated, immediately after your forward push. If that don't work go see the pitching coach at Hazelwood central in St. Louis, he'll square you away lol