Disc Golf Store
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
Some drives, feel free to criticize

My brother and I threw a huge pile of discs today, most of which I wasn't familiar with, just to see how things went.

This is mostly mid range discs, which is what I usually throw. I noticed I don't seem to be following through with my back foot very consistently. Be interested to hear criticism. I'm still pretty new, but I think I've improved a lot over the last month or so. Tried a couple of hyzer flips towards the end.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

This is when I got to some of the meatier drivers I probably shouldn't be messing with. Threw a few over 350'. My long throw was the first Beast I threw for about 380'.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
You are reaching back too early and the disc begins to move early forward. You want to keep the disc in the same place as long as possible and work/move your body more around the disc. Also keep yourself more balanced between your feet/more compact, you have way too much lateral movement front to back to front which slows rotation. Some throws had some obvious bad pre-curling, and all throws didn't get the elbow very far forward of the shoulder.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are reaching back too early and the disc begins to move early forward. You want to keep the disc in the same place as long as possible and work/move your body more around the disc. Also keep yourself more balanced between your feet/more compact, you have way too much lateral movement front to back to front which slows rotation. Some throws had some obvious bad pre-curling, and all throws didn't get the elbow very far forward of the shoulder.
Let me reiterate what I think you're saying so that I'm sure I've got it.

You said I'm reaching back too early and pulling the disc forward too early. I'm vaguely trying to base my timing on the first drives in this video which are pretty consistent with each other. In the video they both seem to start moving this disc back just before their second step, and start moving forward again just after they start driving into their plant foot. Would you consider that timing "correct?" That's kind of what I've been going for. (although my execution can improve... this is the first time I've seen myself throw in a while)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vhQzVIX4cVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too much lateral movement... you mean I'm traveling too far during my run up? That was my suspicion, but just wanted to make sure what you mean. I can see how that will help maintain balance, which I assume helps with rotational power.

Definitely need to work on leading with my elbow. I can see that.

Not pre-curling is an easy fix... I just have to remember it.

Moving my body around the disc is probably the main thing you mentioned that I still struggle with conceptually. I think the More Snap videos do the best job of describing that movement. Right?

Anyway. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I think you understand most of that, but the snap vids don't really go into working the body around the disc from the backswing. You are actively moving the disc too much(too fast) into the backswing. You must let go of the disc/arm/momentum and let it fall into rhythm from the hips while keeping the disc stationary. You aren't really pulling the arm/disc early, but the disc is moving forward early because of the hips and too much back to front movement. That robs you of a lot of acceleration. Feldberg talks a little about it in disc golf monthly vid 94 or 95 with the arms matching legs. You can actually just grab onto something stationary like a pole or doorframe and work around that so that your max reachback position is much more leveraged/athletic, like a tug-of-war. You should feel how you have turn your body/hips back more later.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

This one right?

I'm not really sure what you mean about working around a stationary object, but that sounds really interesting.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, he doesn't really talk about working around the disc much in that one, not sure where that was from originally. It's easier to build your body leverage around a stationary or heavy object, as opposed to trying to build your body leverage by moving that object into position. It should put you into a better lawn mower start position. Now start the lawn mower down the target line, start slow and accelerate through.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Good example of disc being sationary during last part of backswing/reachback:
http://youtu.be/jo-VAGr0xBU
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Good example of disc being sationary during last part of backswing/reachback:
http://youtu.be/jo-VAGr0xBU
Okay... so what y'all are saying is that, as I'm releasing the disc, I should no longer be travelling forward, but instead I should be stationary and working my body around the disc.

Does that sound right?

(I had to watch that video about 10 times cause I had no idea what you were talking about in terms of that throw being "stationary")
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

No, it's during the preswing and backswing, see how the disc stays in place until the forward throw begins and paul works around the disc into the max reachback.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Birdie Member

You mean how he holds it in place behind him as he sets his plant foot, then starts his rotation, and only then bringing the disc down the "line"?