Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Good value in terms of the player's pack is definitely an incentive, as well as a well rounded turnout. It's nice to play in a tourney where people can play where they belong, rather than "not enough people for that division." But it's hard to tell if that's will be the case before-hand.

Personally, I also like being able to play a unique or special layout - but I can see how others wouldn't to play a course/layout for the first time in a tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Sanctioning and Tier
Food on site (whether it is included in the entry fee or not) is a plus.
^ I'll echo this and being able to spend non-open payouts on site.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM

For me..
-Players packs with tourney stamped discs are a +
-camping is always fun to make a weekend getaway out of a tourney or two
-free keg afterwards?!
-also which club is hosting the event

Can't wait for all the ice bowls the next couple weekends!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Tourney-stamped discs and good course selection
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Far and away.....the course/s. Primarily, it is me competing against the course in a formal setting.

Camaraderie is right up there too for the enjoyment as even if I love the course but am a stranger to the majority it takes a lot of the fun away. Having a family, schedule is a "given" as far as a factor (location and date). One day tournaments are much preferred for that reason.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 41
I mainly look at who is running the tournament....if the TD is cool...I'm in and having a blast...If the TD is a douche...I'll pass! I'll play any and every tournament Mr. Disc Golf puts on if I don't have my boys that weekend. I'll support him till I'm old and can't throw a disc anymore. There are only a few cool cats that run tournaments around me and I will play in their tournaments. I won't play in tournaments run by a certain two guys around me..(only because I despise/loathe one of the dudes). LONG LIVE MR. DISC GOLF!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 58
Most of our local events are C-tiers and don't come with a players pack, which I'm OK with. Luckily, we have 2 groups hosting events and they cooperate quite well as far as scheduling. One group tends to put in more side action (CTP, ring of fire, etc) and the other has a running "points series" for their events. Both are staffed and run extremely well, so that's never a concern. The group with the points series puts on one event per month, with a series finale B-tier (2 day event this year!) and the other group put on 4 events last year (their first year).

These events are all affordable, fun, and have good, deep payout structure, and they are run by good people I consider friends. Both of these groups are the main disc shops in Houston (opposite sides of town), so AM payout is always handled on site.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Keeper of the White Squirrels

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 81
Playing with other skilled players is a big one for me. I shot a 990 round last week (first time using the PDGA app to calculate round rating so idk how accurate it is), but most of the people I play with throw drives in the 80-100' range, so I just want to play with other good players. The player pack also impacts which tourneys I'm actually willing to drive to because the closest ones are usually 1 1/2 hrs away.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
I'm drawn to a tournament because...

- Its close enough to drive there.
- I know/like the course/layout.
- I know some of my disc golfing buddies will be there.
- I know the TD and know he/she will put on a good event.
- The entry fee is reasonable.
- The players pack (if there is one) is reasonable for that fee.
- Sanctioning (more like lack of at the moment, although I'll break that rule a couple times this year and pay the $10).
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 63
I've been playing for a few years, but just made it to my first tournament the other day. Competition is never a big thing for me, which is why I haven't gone til now. The local 9 hole course had a temporary extra 9 holes set up for the tournament. That's the main reason I went. However, after having played in it, the atmosphere was probably the best part. Having that many cool disc golfers hanging out in one place was alot of fun. I could care less about winning or the competition. But all the people made it worth it. (By the way, there were 62 people at our local Ice Bowl. Previous record was 34.)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
The course is the biggest factor for me.

PDGA Sanctioned is a plus.

I could care less about the #/quality of competitors in my division (MA1). If it's a course I enjoy playing, then I'll sign up early to make sure I get a spot. I don't wait to see who may or may not be playing.

For me, tournaments are about me playing against the course trying to improve my rating. If I shoot above my rating and don't cash, then I'm happy.