Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Wait... So you guys are saying that there are days that aren't windy when you play? Sorry, I'm from OK and can't fathom that.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 104
yeah same here even in MN there is always SOME wind and depending where you are there can always be a breeze... Calm days are normally the ones that are also jungle like hot and humid'

Tailwinds IMO suck.. they don't let the discs fly, push down and make every disc wayyyy more OS than normal-- I'd take a headwind anytime over throwing weird tailwind drives high as hell and nose down trying to get it to fly like a kite lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 107
Send a message via Skype™ to RussMB
Living on the Gulf coast, it's hard to find a day without wind as well. The course where my friend got the skip ace is in an open field. Just when you get used to the way wind is blowing, it changes direction.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
Wait... So you guys are saying that there are days that aren't windy when you play? Sorry, I'm from OK and can't fathom that.
Yeah i live in Abilene Texas where it can calm one day and 40mph the next.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Man. I really like Johnson park up by the lake. Haven't played any of the other ones in Abilene. I will be playing some of them right around labor day. We have a campmeeting up in Hamlin about then. Makes for a great daytrip between church services. Johnson is fun but I will have to hit the others next time I'm out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Man. I really like Johnson park up by the lake. Haven't played any of the other ones in Abilene. I will be playing some of them right around labor day. We have a campmeeting up in Hamlin about then. Makes for a great daytrip between church services. Johnson is fun but I will have to hit the others next time I'm out there.
Cal Young is my favorite great course with lots of variety. The ACU course is only 9 holes but the pin placements give a good challenge, no water around this course. Will Hair is a 10 hole course with 2 teepads on each hole. Another good course with variety. All great courses in Abilene Remind me..is it labor day that is in september and memorial day in may? or are you talking about memorial day?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHFH
I live in a Valley so there's usually always a little wind. I consider 25mph and above to be windy, and when its like that I'll change my bag up. I have an older max weight Champ Starfire that is my most reliable distance driver on windy days. My 11x Champ Firebird also see's more action. For me its all about proper disc selection and knowing how your discs react in the wind.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:

I had a guy from Colorado come play a round with me who kept complaining about how unpredictable his discs were in all this wind. I didn't even realize there was any breeze until he said something, I'm just too used to always playing in stiff Oklahoma winds.

Btw, there was a 10mph constant wind from the SW with gusts tickling the 15mph mark. Lol. That's a great day for disc here!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

I'll be there in September. Maybe we can meet up.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
yeah same here even in MN there is always SOME wind and depending where you are there can always be a breeze... Calm days are normally the ones that are also jungle like hot and humid'

Tailwinds IMO suck.. they don't let the discs fly, push down and make every disc wayyyy more OS than normal-- I'd take a headwind anytime over throwing weird tailwind drives high as hell and nose down trying to get it to fly like a kite lol.

You're just using the wrong disc. Disc way down in a tailwind and use something very understable. I parked a 370' hole with a Gl Fuse when we had a 25mph straight from behind us tailwind. My friends couldn't believe their blizz bosses just got outdrove by a fuse. Glidey, slower, and understable does the trick...