Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
I do believe so.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
The cheapest ($$) method of shipping a disc? Parcel Post in a flimsy envelope.
The cheapest but best method of shipping a disc? Parcel Post in a box (takes a while to get though).
The best way to make a profit over & beyond what the disc costs? Charge a lot for shipping but send the disc in a Parcel Post in an envelope.
Percentage of discs received by me in the mail sent in flimsy envelope? Probably 95%!
I dont do it myself but I believe this is a way to maike a little extra money for the seller. Shady yes but pretty common!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 25
Great thread, great replies! Thanks everyone!

Has anyone who has stuffed 2 discs into 1 bubble mailer, with the discs "back" to "back" run into a bent disc? I would think that would be nearly impossible to do.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 2
My last order included two FLX surges from discoutfitters not sure if it was DO's fault or the postal service but both discs had major clover leafing I've also had a few DX teebirds shoved into my mail box that were U shaped when I finally got them out. My UPS man also despises me and leaves all my packages on the steps in front of my house. I had $800 in computer parts ruined cause UPS left the box in the rain luckily I took picture's of the soggy box and where it was placed when I saw it and was able to file a claim with UPS to get my money back.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 24
Luckily I live in an APT complex that has really small mailboxes, anything over a regular sized letter is brought to the management office, and I pick up the discs that way.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
UPS gave you a refund? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
.....My UPS man also despises me and leaves all my packages on the steps in front of my house. I had $800 in computer parts ruined cause UPS left the box in the rain luckily I took picture's of the soggy box and where it was placed when I saw it and was able to file a claim with UPS to get my money back.
UPS does not refund money very often for problems (never?) so you are very fortunate!
Heard from my local UPS driver "Your package must be able to withstand a 2- story drop". Seriously? What package could survive that? A box of pillows maybe?
UPS rant over/
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
Paging scarpfish...
Sorry guys, I just saw the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
Not only do I write "Do Not Bend" on the mailer, I ask the postal person to stamp it on.
Not sure if that helps, but I haven't heard of anyone saying they had gotten a bent disc from me so far.
I can't promise that it will help, but this certainly can't hurt. Bright orange warning labels are your friend.

Its a simple rule of thumb when you ship anything guys. The more cushioning you put around your cargo, the better the likelihood that it will arrived unharmed. This thread speaks for itself. Honest to God, if I were using a bubble mailer to ship 2-3 discs, I'd put newspaper around each of them, then again around the whole bunch. Four or more discs, I'd use a box.

The number one reason packages get damaged is insufficient preparation by the sender. I know that there seems to be a perception by customers that a package with special instructions like "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" is going to be kept aside from ones without those markings, but that's not the reality of things. There simply isn't enough time with all of the volume to treat every parcel like fine china. The clerk will probably interact with it for about three seconds to read the zip code before throwing it into a hamper, pouch, box or other container for its destination, after which other packages will follow it and land on top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
If you mail the package as a First Class envelope instead of a First Class thick envelope/box, you may get a lower rate, but I believe it is treated differently in the USPS system.
You actually shouldn't get a cheaper rate as discs by their very nature fail the obscure "rigidity" test which makes them parcels by USPS standards. Even if you were to send one naked this would be true. (That being said, I don't doubt that people are getting stuff through as large envelopes).

As far as how it will be treated in the system, pretty much anything rigid is going to go through parcel processing as the automated machinery meant for large envelopes will not handle such things.

As for dealing with your carrier stuffing them into your mailbox, getting to know the guy/gal helps, but you never know if your discs are going to arrive on their day off so I say take preemptive action and put a sign on your mailbox requesting that said packages be taken to your door (or wherever you want them).
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: LHBH
I am always a bit upset when I receive a disc that was not shipped in a bubble mailer. . .You can buy 100 of them on ebay for 20 bucks. Even if the disc is 5 shipped, I always like to use a bubble mailer. I got this real killer flat dx roc shipped in a normal envelope and it arrived with a huge warp. I stacked a bunch of discs on top for a few months and the warp has gone away. I always assume people will use bubble mailers.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I never had a problem with it til you made this thread! Seriously. I was going to comment this morning about how I get a lot of discs from trades and retail and never have had an issue... then I get home today and there's two packages in my mailbox, they looked fine, but when I opened the one with two discs, it was warp city. A couple'a bent C-FDs.

They came in a bubble mailer with individual bags for the discs even, and a little hand written note (from the ebay store Hyzer Farm - I love their store and finally ordered something from 'em), so it wasn't likely the sender's fault. I ran them under hot tap water and have them sitting under a pile of others. They were almost back to normal just from the water, but I thought it best that they cool down in the right shape. I think it's all going to be okay! Time to check the second package..