Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Thinking of a league format, would like opinions

I am running a very new club. In the spring, we are going to be hosting our first singles league. I am nervous about a handicapped league with spreadsheets and calculations for a variety of reasons. So here is an idea I had that might have some of the advantages of a handicap league without the complexity:

We use bag tags. When you show up at league night, you are split into cards of 3 or 4 using tags (so tags 1-4 would be together, 5-8 together, etc...). Everyone gets 1 point just for showing up. Additional points are based on your card. First on your card gets 3 points, second 2 points, third 1 point, fourth nothing. Whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins. At the end of the night, everyone compares scores and whoever had the lowest score goes home with the lowest tag. The idea is, every week you are competing for points against the people you finished closest to the week before.

Has anyone tried a format like this? Do you have any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 256
I run a High School League and the format I use is this:
1 point for playing and finishing the round.
Bonus points for finishing in the top 1/3rd of the field. (i.e. 24 players = 8 players earning bonus points, with 1st place getting 8, 2nd getting 7, 3rd getting 6, etc...). That way the points earned are weighted based on the number of players you've beat.

As for the tag dump... I am not a fan. Because some cards play slower than others and some people need to go home early... and inevitably someone leaves before getting their tag and you have to track them down, etc... Therefore, when I'm in charge of the tourneys, we play bag tags on card only.
DSCJNKY
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Such a formula IMO will encourage sandbagging for people who can't score against their card, and even if they're being honest, how many points they can score on any given week, comes down to the randomness of who does and doesn't show up.

Anyone who has worked with tags know that sometimes, good players can end up with lousy tags and vice versa on occasion. Good players shouldn't be rewarded with easier competition for stinking it up one week. Not so good players shouldn't be punished with harder competition for having a good round.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Good point about the tags. Last year we did tags every game, but we were a lot smaller and all knew each other. I hope this year we grow to the point where that becomes a problem.

That is the other format I was going to use, and still might use. I just don't like that you will still have the same players getting the most points every week. I am looking for the simplest way possible to give the weaker players a fair advantage so they can compete.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Institute a rolling 3-week handicap system. That way the player that shows the most improvement from week to week will be "in the money." That is what my local league does and everyone seems reasonably happy with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 256
Will you have divisions for the league (open, Advance, rec)?
DSCJNKY
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 84
I like the sound of the points + tag format. A couple points:
  1. Are there going to be any payouts / prizes on a weekly basis? If so, if there aren't prizes to each of the card winners, then the "handicap" aspect gets a bit lost.
  2. How are you going to split cards if you don't have an even multiple of 4? It could matter a lot to the person who gets rounded up or down.

I should add that, I think the handicap + spreadsheet thing works pretty well. I recommend putting your spreadsheet in Google Drive, and doing all the score entry & result calculation from a smart phone.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
sounds like a neat idea but honestly i'm glad the league i play in uses the old

1 point for attendance
1 point for every person you beat
1 point for each stroke under par

we also give 5 points for winning, 3 for second and 1 for third.