Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscmn View Post
Fill in the blank:

With regard to stability, a roadrunner is _____________________ than a firebird.
less high speed stable than a firebird
less low speed stable than a firebird
.....anything else?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJack View Post
If a disc wasn't flippy, just hit a tree or two and it would be flippy. When you wanted to throw far you threw your disc on a 7 o'clock hyzer and high in the air. It would turn over and slowly fade back. We called this a flex shot. It's a line you don't see thrown anymore.
Ever been to a distance competition ?

Or are you just being ironic ? Sorry but i didnt read trough your entire post, i got a nostalgia-brainfreeze from the first few sentences.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
.....anything else?
No, that's perfect, if you're going for ridiculously awkward.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
.....anything else?
More understable
Less overstable
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscmn View Post
Wow. Someone needs a hug. No one on this planet is going to refer to the negative overstableness of the Roadrunner. Nobody.
I love getting hugs.......and what these guys are saying shows that they understand the point I was making about the concept of negative over/understability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
More understable
Less overstable
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I would say "more understable."
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
I still don't get why you advocate a more complicated, more confusing way to describe stability. Having three different categories for stability is not easier to understand. Where are the lines? Why are there lines?

All discs fall in a simple continuous range of stability from overstable (more stable) to understable (less stable), and there is neutral stability in the middle. Say "straight" when you mean straight. Say "more stable" when something has more stability. Say "less stable" when something has less stability. This works for both HSS and LSS, and works for comparing all discs.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
I still don't get why you advocate a more complicated, more confusing way to describe stability. Having three different categories for stability is not easier to understand. Where are the lines? Why are there lines?

All discs fall in a simple continuous range of stability from overstable (more stable) to understable (less stable), and there is neutral stability in the middle. Say "straight" when you mean straight. Say "more stable" when something has more stability. Say "less stable" when something has less stability. This works for both HSS and LSS, and works for comparing all discs.
Here's someone who gets it. Even my three year old can understand this concept fairly easily. I don't mean to be insulting at all. Just trying to understand how some folk's brains work.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post

I certainly can understand a scale and use a scale that is continuous. And it sounds like that's how lots of people mentally visualize things.

For others, it is more of a "turns right", "goes straight" & "turns left" thing. To them it makes much less sense when driving a car and coming to a intersection asking their navigator, "Do you want me to go zero, 5, or 10?"

I think the whole "more complicated" argument you are using is either invalid or cuts equally both ways.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
More understable
Less overstable
This would also be true

Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Par Member

I love witnessing the abandonment of logic for dogma. Your position would greatly benefit from a change of names for overstable and understable. Logically and grammatically the over and under are qualifying stable--but apparently not in your world. What exactly are they referring to if not stableness? It's like you guys are using these terms as a trick to trip up all us rubes who use one spectrum of stableness. Is that it, some elaborate, cruel hoax? Because as you folks state stableness is reserved only for a discs straightness. So, my question is, to what does overstable and understable refer to if not stability? So, when a new player comes to you and asks you for advice on discs and you tell them that a drone is overstable and a lot less stable than a buzz, you do so straight-faced and without a long convoluted explanation of your seemingly contradictory statement? Isn't that just mean?

Last edited by dscmn; 02-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.