Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Discs are either stable, or they are understable. Overstable does not exsist. A disc that fades hard left is just more stable than one that flies straight.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I agree with your post, but I have to ask, why would anyone compare those two discs to each other anyway? Saying a Firebird is more overstable than a Roadrunner sounds a little funny, but odds are, you won't be making comparisons like that in the real world. You would say something like "Firebirds are more overstable than Orcs."

I think the term "more overstable" is very clear, and it only sounds awkward when making a comparison which is awkward to begin with.
I could suggest that Orcs are neutral flyers. Maybe one of the best, but that's a matter of opinion. Saying that a Firebird is more overstable than an Orc implies a measure of overstability in an Orc that might not exist. Saying a Firebird is more stable than an Orc implies nothing more that relative position on a scale. Using the term "overstable" in this comparison really devalues the term and takes away the precision with which it could be used. At least to me.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
Welp, this is the second best thing I've read tonight!
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into that one.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Keeper of the White Squirrels

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Internet kids like to say stable refers to the one or two discs that are stable.
Real discers use stable as overstable.
Alright, well, I don't consider myself an "internet kid," and I'm thinking I'd probably be considered a real discer. I don't like the term "more stable." "More overstable" seems to clearly take care of the problem since we all know what overstable means and we know what understable means. More stable is just a confusing statement.
I look at it as a 0 +/-. If it is more than 0, it's over 0, if it is less than zero, it is under 0. Thus 4 is more OVER 0 than 3, it is not more 0 than 3.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 40
I didnt read your silly internet kid babble but ill leave you with this:

There is flippy and there is stable. Thats it.
No one even uses "more". Real discers dont really need to compare mold to mold verbally anyways.

"Is that a new pred? How are they flyin?"
Yeah it is...theyre stable as f&*(

"Is that a new pred? How are they flyin?"
Yeah it is.....theyre kinda flippy though for a pred

Feel free to shoot me any comparison (just no trendies or imports) and ill translate it into real world lingo.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
My friends horses at his ranch stay in a stable. When I was a kid I slept on the roof there (over stable). He buried a treasure chest beneath it (understable). He is buying 3 more horses. (He will need more stable).
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscmn View Post
I love witnessing the abandonment of logic for dogma.
That's why I had been posting, too. It's funny to watch someone totally abandon all critical thinking and logic just to try to prove that they aren't slightly wrong about a small semantic point. You can even tell people what they will say and why it's wrong, but they can't help but say it anyway. I like the irony that they have no problems looking like they can't come to terms with extremely simple, and obvious logic just to show that they might have made a tiny mistake in the past.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
My friend's horses at his ranch stays in a stable. When I was a kid, I slept on the roof there (over stable). He buried a treasure chest beneath it (understable). He is buying 3 more horses. (He will need more stable).
superlulz!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 3
I think the folks continuing to use that convoluted system ("A Buzzz is WAY more stable than a Firebird bro!") don't understand disc flight or basic communication. It isn't that they have a different system - they have NO system ... it's just confused talk rattling around looking for a way to say "straight/neutral".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscmn View Post
I love witnessing the abandonment of logic for dogma. Your position would greatly benefit from a change of names for overstable and understable. Logically and grammatically the over and under are qualifying stable--but apparently not in your world. What exactly are they referring to if not stableness? It's like you guys are using these terms as a trick to trip up all us rubes who use one spectrum of stableness. Is that it, some elaborate, cruel hoax? Because as you folks state stableness is reserved only for a discs straightness. So, my question is, to what does overstable and understable refer to if not stability? So, when a new player comes to you and asks you for advice on discs and you tell them that a drone is overstable and a lot less stable than a buzz, you do so straight-faced and without a long convoluted explanation of your seemingly contradictory statement? Isn't that just mean?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
That's why I had been posting, too. It's funny to watch someone totally abandon all critical thinking and logic just to try to prove that they aren't slightly wrong about a small semantic point. You can even tell people what they will say and why it's wrong, but they can't help but say it anyway. I like the irony that they have no problems looking like they can't come to terms with extremely simple, and obvious logic just to show that they might have made a tiny mistake in the past.
Who that you have been in dialog with in this thread has abandoned critical thinking and logic? Is it me or Toro71 or both or someone else?

I have glanced through all your posts (and Toro71 and my interaction with you) and I do not see either of us arguing over tiny semantic points. I see both of us accepting that there are 2 paradigms in the way the DG community sees the word "Stable". Neither of us are advocating that "More Stable" should ever be used for "More Straight"

Please back up your assertion that critical thinking and logic have been abandoned.