Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Roc- Stability help

Can somebody give me a down and dirty mini chart of Roc stabilities? I know there's about a billion different molds and obviously plastic will effect the stability to some degree, but I'm a Buzzz thrower thinking of converting and have no idea where to start...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Three Putt explains it well
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...light=mythical
Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
That actually helps everything haha how about the Roc3? Where does that fit into the stability chart?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
That actually helps everything haha how about the Roc3? Where does that fit into the stability chart?
It really depends on how big your arm is. I know for some pros & very long throwing players they can be very straight with a little fade. There pretty much the same stability of a brand new Rancho Roc. I have a Roc3 that works well with my other 3-5 DX Rocs in my bag.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I love that thread! Roc thrower's Bible
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Amen
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 21
The rocs turn harder at the end than the buzzzs. I throw both.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
+1

A dizzying assortment of Rocs throughout the years, even current prodoction has a lot of discs/materials. I run KC Pros for all purpose upshots, putting, and some anhyzer tee shots. For long distance or more stability I grab a champ Roc3. This keeps me from beating up my KCs too quickly.

Buzzz vs. Roc... There is no clear winner. Out on my local couses I see both and they perform basically the same. I am happy throwing either and glad both are available.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 34
I have been a KC thrower for years and it is a staple in my bag. I also own several Buzz's mostly from Tournaments and just can't seem to bond with them. Not sure why as I know several players who love them. But for me, they just don't do what I can do with a Roc or a Wasp.

Rick G

Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 62
To add to whats been said, here are the Rocs Ive thrown and a mini review.

DX Ontario: Starts pretty straight, didn't feel quite as good in my hand. Not the wind fighter Rancho is but not terrible into wind at approach range.

DX Rancho: Starts out beefy, and retains its HSS quite well as long as you don't pummel a ton of trees off the tee. Very good disc for cycling, becomes a predictable straight flyer before developing turn. Bear in mind the past few years many (All? some?) dx are slanted style rims, I don't think KC's are though. They both fly fine IMO.

KC Pro: My favorite Rocs, pro plastic rancho mold. In my experience they consistently start out beefy, hold up well, season slowly and predictably, and develop excellent grip. New runs feel slick before they are seasoned but feel amazing after two to four weeks. To me this is THE roc as far as current easy to find runs go. If I ever went back to Rocs I'd buy a pair of these and beat one and keep the other for OS lines.

Roc3: All of the ones I threw fell in between dx ontario and star san marino. I am not particularly fond of them for a Roc, but for a straight flying premium mid with a Roc feel they have their place. The tweaked mold is also slightly faster, and feels great in a power grip. I find rancho in any plastic more OS.

Star Rancho: Only threw them a few times but the two I tried flew consistently beefy. Life a fresh KC that will have a longer life. Not a bad choice for an OS Roc I'd imagine.

Star San Marino: I had a big bird 20th anniv pair. They feel good in my hands, I think the nose is fatter and the bead recessed a tad. Anyways they fly like a DX rancho at low to mid speed, but at high speed (325'+) they can show a hair of turn. They're still quite reliable overall, but I would choose star rancho or kc over this for OS and Roc3 or DX rancho for straight depending on cycling preferences.

Classic Roc: Different disc, in between putter and mid speed, pretty straight.

Last edited by Mike C; 07-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.