Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 157
P90X.

My recommendation is that even if you can't do all the exercises, watch the tape. It's all about developing routine. Take the time to do as much as you can do while watching the tapes. When they do exercises, do as many as you can, but instead of focusing on matching their reps, do 15 compared to their 25 reps (at first), and force yourself to participate in each exercise, even if you're only doing it 60% of the time. I think it's all about developing routine.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just started P90X week 3 and the pain has finally let up. I haven't been on the course since I started so I'm excited to see a difference in my game. Like it was said above, the yoga video SUCKS! Stick with it though and enjoy the pain free life.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM

Years Playing: 2.3
Throwing Style: RHFH
Looks like I should do p90 x. Thaknks for the replies.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 35
I've been thinking of trying Insanity , thanks for the push !
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Assuming you are relatively fit, you could also try some more targeted strength training for some of the major muscle groups used in the throwing motion. Things like dumbbell rows (for lats/shoulders), wrist rolls (for forearms and grip strength), and back extensions added to your routine will help strengthen some more of the major players used for throwing. I would also add in about 15-20 minutes of plain ole stretching too. No point in doing all the rest of the stuff if you're too stiff to actually throw in the end of it all.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 AM

What about pull ups? Hits lats, back,core,(especially w/ knee raise) grip strength forearms, shoulders and chest. Just saying. Stretching is something I will add into my routine. Appreciate your advice
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrot42 View Post
What about pull ups? Hits lats, back,core,(especially w/ knee raise) grip strength forearms, shoulders and chest. Just saying. Stretching is something I will add into my routine. Appreciate your advice
Pull-ups are definitely good for all of those things, i was only thinking of other things you could add in on top too.

In fact, another thing you could try if you like pull-ups would be to use a hangboard for doing your pull-up exercises. A hangboard is a simulated rock-climbing board that you put over a doorway and can do pull-up and hanging exercises with. One of the reasons it is really good for disc sports is that it develops great contact strength in the fingers and develops the forearms in ways that other exercises didn't seem to do for me. It will make your grip much stronger with alot less effort and really improves the flick motion for forehand throws (noticeably more power on release of the disc). I started using a Metolius hangboard as training for ultimate frisbee back in college, and especially with forehand throws there is a very noticeable distance improvement.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm thinking a 1x4 turned on edge above my doorway sounds inexpensive and effective. Thanks for the tip
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have a hang-board now, but in my old apartment I had solid molding on my door frames that worked just as well.

I also use a Dynaflex and Grip Master

I got all of these things to develop grip for climbing. Is there something out there more focused torwards disc golf?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I got all of these things to develop grip for climbing. Is there something out there more focused torwards disc golf?
DFX makes a 'power ball' that is a remake of the 80's dynabee, a gryoscopic exercise tool made specifically for grip. I keep mine in my car and use on on the road so that I don't lose any time at home.

However, I think the best exercise for disc golf is to disc golf as often as possible once your muscles have recovered from the last outing. I stretch to speed that up, work out any knots that develop in the shoulder/neck area but the muscle that I found hides the best in just below the shoulder. If you put the tops of your fingers on your throwing hand up against the opposite armpit and raise your throwing elbow up and around a bit, you'll feel it. It will hurt and that is the spot I rub out that allows me to recover faster and go out twice a week. Once all day on the weekend 8-9 hrs and once mid week for a few hours. BTW, I'm 50 yrs. old just for reference sake.