Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
New 2013 Minnesota Winter Thread - MSP Minneapolis St. Paul MN Tips Courses Discs

Hey everyone. I have searched around a lot so I am feeling mildly prepared and really stoked to play some rounds this winter. I'll throw out some of what I know as well as a few questions I have. If anyone else in the area has questions related to this feel free to jump in and ask here. It'd be cool to have a thread full of info on this.

So first of all I am wondering about courses that leave pins in and are friendly about disc golfing in the off season. Looking at other threads I've come up with these:
-Acorn
-Valley
-Kaposia
-BRP

Does anyone know if Highland in St. Paul will keep pins in? I'll shovel off tee's occasionally - I live just a mile or so away.

Clothing:
I'll get some waterproof/warm socks, long johns, wear my snowboard hat and pants, Hoodies/Underarmor/Coat depending on weather, and some gloves to take on and off. Maybe a hand-warmer for the throwing hand.

Any suggestions for cheap-ish footwear? I'll likely only get a half dozen to a dozen or so rounds in so I don't want to break the bank. But proper footwear is always beneficial especially in a MN winter!

Discs
I've got a couple orange discs I think I'll mainly use. I might also pick up a few more from GGGT around Black Friday if they have a sale. Thinking I'll try an FLX or ESP Buzzz and a couple other Pro discs (they seem to be pretty gummy). Any other recommendations? I'd like to keep it really simple with something like the below:
1x Orange Pro Wraith
1x Orange Dx Teebird
1x Orange ESP or FLX Buzzz
1x Black Dx Aviar

Extras
Towels. Hand warmers. Flask. Extra socks and shoes. Any other recommendations? Couple of glow stick things in case it's getting dark maybe.

Travel
Des Moines seems like a fairly close trip with some decent weather (maybe 3.5 hours away?). So does Kansas City (I've made it down there in 6.5 hours before). Anywhere else that would be a bit warmer on average and include some fun courses?

Does St. Cloud have a serious winter scene? I could see a couple courses up there being really fun and I know I saw a video on here of a few guys playing in some sleet/snow already this year. Sportsman's Hill on the way up there is pretty short, fun, and maybe a great courses in the winter if they keep pins in.

Last edited by MNThrower; 11-10-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNThrower View Post
-Acorn
-Valley
-Kaposia
-BRP
Acorn and Kaposia are your best bet for winter golf. I lived in the Cities from December 2010 - April of 2013 and play a TON of winter disc golf at the two courses above.

After the first decent accumulations, it takes a while for the winter golfers to tamp the snow down by playing, but after that, it's gravy.

Acorn especially seems to be well used in the winter.

As for any other suggestions: I played when there was two feet of snow on the ground and taped thin strips of Christmas ribbon (about 12" to 18") to my discs so if they went in at an angle the ribbon was visible out of the snow.

I never lost a disc.

Have fun! I miss those courses every day.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 80
I'm usually good with a Thermal Fit, tee shirt over that, a hoodie and insulated windbreaker. I wear a couple of pairs of socks and some hiking boots. I've never had to use hand warmers. After a few holes my throwing hand adjusts to the cold. I usually keep a dry towel in my pocket and just cover my hand with this in between throws. Your body heat will keep the towel warm.

Plymouth Creek is another good winter course. It gets tamped down pretty quickly.

For my Winter bag this year I'm going almost exclusively DX. Good grip and won't be so bummed out if I were to lose one.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangs1;2235131[B
]I'm usually good with a Thermal Fit, tee shirt over that, a hoodie and insulated windbreaker. I wear a couple of pairs of socks and some hiking boots.[/B] I've never had to use hand warmers. After a few holes my throwing hand adjusts to the cold. I usually keep a dry towel in my pocket and just cover my hand with this in between throws. Your body heat will keep the towel warm.

Plymouth Creek is another good winter course. It gets tamped down pretty quickly.

For my Winter bag this year I'm going almost exclusively DX. Good grip and won't be so bummed out if I were to lose one.
I'm about the same for clothing. Two pairs of socks and hiking boots are perfect to keep feet warm and dry.

I do use hand warmers just to get started (20 for $6 at Walmart), but my hands usually warm up after 5 or 6 holes.

DX is definitely the best choice for winter golf for the reasons stated above.

I'm glad this thread was started. I LOVE winter disc golf.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 82
Wool socks, enough about that. BRP is always in great shape.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 157
I started playing year round about 4-5 years ago. I wear a glove on my left hand, and I carry a "Muff", the things that NFL QB's wear for my right hand. I've played in below 0 air temp (-20 windchill) with no issues.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Wow, your list includes the 3 courses I've played up there. Love the Valley and Acorn. I will likely be trying Kaposia again around Thanksgiving.

BRP will be for sunnier days.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Wow, your list includes the 3 courses I've played up there. Love the Valley and Acorn. I will likely be trying Kaposia again around Thanksgiving.

BRP will be for sunnier days.
BRP plows their fairways in the winter.

Keep a good eye on those discs at Kaposia over Thanksgiving, the ground cover of leaves is not your friend.

And have fun. I'm jealous.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
You are going to want to do something like attach ribbons to your disc. The problem my friends and I had wasn't winter clothing and the cold, it was the fact that a disc can disappear right before your eyes in snow that isn't all that deep, and even on shorter shots in the 250ft range. I only lost one last winter, but too much of our time was spent combing the snow to find our discs.

Idk that I will be playing any winter rounds this year because of that reason alone.