Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Par Member

P-PD vs SOLF distance potential

Are they pretty much the same? I couldn't find any threads where distance potential is discussed.

Just got a 165g P, S, and G PD to see if they can do anything my 165g SOLF can't do (in the overstable/headwind distance driver slot for a person with just over 300' max D).

The S and G PD's are just way too overstable for my noodle arm, might be good in a strong headwind but not gonna make the bag.

The P PD is an amazing disc, was really surprised, but the stability is kind of in between my MOLS and SOLF so I'm not sure that there's room for it in the bag. It does hold a tighter line, and I can see it being ridiculously amazing to have several in different stages of wear, so if there is more distance potential with the P-PD I may give it more of a chance. But at this point I can't tell, so maybe the distance potential is too close to be an issue.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 12
P-PD's can beat into being ridiculously long hyzer flip bombers. I've been throwing mine a lot lately (trying to beat it into a consistent roller disc) and if I put it on a 6 or 7:00 hyzer angle and rip it, it'll flip to flat, track right a bit, but then fade back to neutral. And it just keeps getting longer and longer, distance wise. It's a fun disc to throw right now for sure.

I threw a SOLF for a little while and they definitely have more turn out of the box than even a fresh P-PD does, so I'd imagine that when beaten in to the point my P-PD is, a MOLF or SOLF would have a lot more high speed turn and not as much fight back. I really did enjoy throwing the SOLF, even throw it back in my bag from time to time just to play around with it, but I love the tighter lines that I get from a PD more than the slightly s-curvy flight of the OLF.

EDIT: Oh, and give the S-PD a chance. It's pretty beefy to start out, but if you have patience with it (maybe throw it on second shots) they season into being amazing control discs with some surprisingly big time distance potential.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
P-PDs are longer IMO. For one, they're in pro plastic so they glide better. Secondly, they stay HSS for a good while (especially S-PDs) but their fade gets mild and finish forward more as they season. SOLFs stay better for power rips though b/c P-PDs to wear in to be flippy eventually.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
The recent bunch of 1.3 SOLFs i've gotten from marshal street are flippy. Not sure why, red, orange, white, yellow and they are very domey and nothing spectacular. I hope the next run come out more like the 1.2's, as i'm pretty well stocked on 1.1's.

If you're throwing PD's or OLF's 300ft, i'm not sure either one (or any other disc for that matter) is going to get significant distance gains. You'd actually probably get longer throws with a river or teebird.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
If you're throwing PD's or OLF's 300ft, i'm not sure either one (or any other disc for that matter) is going to get significant distance gains. You'd actually probably get longer throws with a river or teebird.
This.

I personally throw OLFs farther than PDs but to each their own.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
I threw the solf farther than my pd as well. Not sure why. If you have a cannon the pd is probably farther and more reliable.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Par Member

A River or DX Teebird won't work into a headwind, and I do throw a Star/Champ Teebird as my overstable fairway driver but it definitely doesn't go as far as a SOLF or P-PD for me. Maybe goes closer to as far as my G-PD which is significantly more overstable than the other two.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Par Member

OK so I've been really working on my form, getting more consistent with smooth release and weight shift and gaining a bit of distance, and my MOLS sometimes flips a bit too much to be reliable as my main distance driver while the PPD is going straighter more consistently.

So here's my dilemma.... here's how I see the three discs:

MOLS - Quite a lot of right-to-left movement in calm conditions but ends up straight ahead. Into even a slight headwind it ends up too far right, and a moderate headwind it's waaaaaay right. Sometimes I just can't predict what it's going to do. I'm thinking it's just not reliable enough anymore as my main distance driver.

PPD - Straight with a bit of fade, even into a slight headwind. Fade seems like it's pretty forward though. Into a moderate headwind, it will go straight for awhile then track right a bit. Just always goes where I throw it, I always know what it's going to do. I can throw big sweeping hyzers and know it's not going to break out of it, and big sweeping anhyzers and it doesn't fade out of it too much. About the same distance as the MOLS, but more accurate and versatile. I'm just utterly amazed at this disc, it almost seems magic.

SOLF - In calm conditions I can't get much of a turn at all, then there's heavier fade than the PPD. Maybe marginally shorter distance, but considering it ends up more left it's pretty comparable. In moderate headwind it will turn a bit and fade a bit, ending up basically straight ahead. Can be thrown into a strong headwind if I give it enough hyzer.

So, I'm thinking of keeping both the PPD and SOLF in the bag. The PPD is point and shoot for max D, the SOLF is for the overstable slot.

I dunno if this matches what I've read about the two discs. Maybe I have a PPD that is particularly less beefy than average. And I can't help but think it's silly to carry both. But at this point that's where I'm at, they'll probably both stay in the bag.

It's like the SOLF is what I want the SPD and GPD to be, but the SPD and GPD are just too beefy while the SOLF is just right.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 77
who cares, carry what you need. they both have the same wing. i can see them co existing in the same bag

Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
I always found the OLF mold better for cycling than PD's. The main reason is once a PD gets well seasoned, they turn at high speed and then just drift to the right most of the flight. The OLF on the other hand develops that high speed turn, but keeps a late, predictable fade. I liked new PD's, but I liked new OLF's AND seasoned OLF's.