Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
odd.

i've got a no-stamp sparkly one in proton and it flies with high speed turn fo'sho, though only past a certain threshold honestly. i use it for standstill driving in the woods. there really shouldn't be much difference.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
I've got a 172 orange proton Tangent and and it's the only MVP disc I have not fallen in love with. It's just too similar to my Axis. It's also my only MVP disc in proton plastic. I was thinking of trying one in Neutron plastic.

Is there any real difference in stability between the two plastics? I know Proton Volts are much more overstable than their Neutron counterparts. My Tangent is more stable than my Axis. On anhyzers they both turn over nicely but the Axis holds the line better. I've really like a Tangent that is actually somewhat understable.

Would the neutron plastic make a difference?
Just throw it as a driver for a while and it will beat in a little.

Neutron is slightly less HSS but you still need to spend a week or 2 of punishment before it loosens up a little.

Im thinking a lot of people have axis that they have used for a while and they are seasoned or beat in and thats why they fly like a fresh tangent.

The axis/tangent are not similar for me, my beat axis can fly similar lines but its still longer and fades more at the end.

Is your axis fresh or have you used it for a while?

I took the beat axis out of the bag, because it is similar enough to my tangent and i could handle all the lines more accurately with the tangent.

Last edited by in4d; 10-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 18
The Axis is older but only by about 5-6 weeks. I've had the Tangent in my bag for about 2 months now and have used it in plenty of rounds. The Axis was more understable from day one. It took me a while to learn how to throw the Axis without turning it over. I never turn over the Tangent. I can put a ton of power into the Tangent where my Axis needs a little more control but the lines are pretty much the same. Axis seems faster.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
The Axis is older but only by about 5-6 weeks. I've had the Tangent in my bag for about 2 months now and have used it in plenty of rounds. The Axis was more understable from day one. It took me a while to learn how to throw the Axis without turning it over. I never turn over the Tangent. I can put a ton of power into the Tangent where my Axis needs a little more control but the lines are pretty much the same. Axis seems faster.
Sounds like my stable eclipse tangent that took me forever to beat in, its starting to beat in now.. but its taking forever, its my favorite one, just straight for days I have to be careful though because it likes to get flippy now and then if im not careful with release angle.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 18
Yeah, maybe I just have to give it some more time. My tangent is just now getting to the point where I can hyzer flip it just a bit and it'll flip up instead of taking a slight hyzer line.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Ol tangie! Similar experience when I first got it but they really do get better seasoned in and once you figure out what its capable of, such a fun disc to throw!
Yea Tangie! I'm wondering how she'll once she's finely seasoned. My disc is finally getting scratched up a bit and I wing it into the chains every so often to try to beat it in. I like that the Tangent can hold a variety of lines although my one complaint is that it likes to roll. Seems like both my Ion and Tangent tend to roll more than I'd like... it must be the GYRO technology haha.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
my tangent is growing on me; won't lie. very useful for standstill throwing.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 28
After being out of the bag for sometime, I took my FR Neutron Tangent to the park for a one disc round. I forgot how slick the plastic is... Like frustratingly slick and difficult for me to grip for whatever reason. I will have to try my friend's Eclipse Proton Tangent and give it a good test.

I like the amount of power that the Tangent can take. It's pretty amazing, but that disc has soured me somewhat on Neutron :-\
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 104
IMO proton is more tacky and slightly better grip when new but proton only gets better with use. Need to get the glossy finish worn down and will become more flexible also.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 41
I think a lot of people (like myself) were expecting the Tangent to be more understable, like a Panther. But really its very neutral...like a better Comet, if you will. I can make mine hold a nice anhyzer line, or a hyzer line. Its a game of angles. That said, I took the Tangent out once I got my hands on an Atlas.

Dont get me wrong: the Tangent and Atlas are barely comparable. They are not even close to the same disc. BUT I can get my Atlas to take the same lines, with less effort. It feels better in my hand, which Im sure is an opinion no one else shares. Im just weird like that.

But that doesnt make me love the Tangent any less. Its just that I am now spreading that love to others. I think its a good mid-range for dgers who have some experience but are still casual, all the way up to the top pros. Pretty darn versatile. I sold my 176g Neutron to a player in our League and it shaved three throws off his best score the first time he used it.