Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
I picked up a red 176 Tangent yesterday and went to play immediately after. I'm super impressed. It reminds me of a faster lid, but not as sensitive to OAT as most lids are. The lines you can throw are very reminiscent of how a SuperHero throws, but with a bit more speed and a bit more fade. I didn't really do any powered down shots with it, but it was impressive when thrown at power. It will be staying in the bag. I am probably gonna have to start picking up back ups. Its a fun disc to throw.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
So my initial impression of the tangent is that it flies exactly like a heavy z comet. I've read reviews of people raving about its flight, and how it does things that no other disc can do. I haven't seen that yet. The z comet for me is longer with more glide. I know I'll get blasted here for not sucking the tangent dick, but I just don't get he hype yet. That being said I felt the same about the ion at first. Turns out the ion is the most amazing disc I've ever thrown. I'm gonna give the tangent more time for sure.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Trust me, it doesn't fly like a heavy Z Comet when you get into the details. It doesn't have the excessive glide at low speeds which, despite my reverence for the disc, has always given me problems with ranging. It is much better in the wind and sits down much better as well. I can throw a high line with a Z Comet in calm conditions that gets to 375' without straining too much. I've thrown longer shots with Comets than any other mid. The Tangent is not like this. On a line drive it is slower and shorter than most other standard mids, making it almost a tweener/approach type disc. Though with a little air it can easily glide as far as most standard mids (not near a Comet though).

It is a disc that you put on line like a Comet. So maybe it's like a Comet that trades some of it's super glide for easier ranging and better wind performance. I really think the Tangent is something new in terms of discs, though the Comet is a good starting point for comparison (much better than discs like the Meteor/Fuse that people are wanting to compare it to).
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 28
Yep the tangent is a new breed of mid

A breed that might not work without gyro
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
This thing ain't no Comet. The glide is not even close. And that, like Discspeed said, can be a good thing.

I'm really looking forward to my first ever one disc round, and it'll be all Tangent.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 22
Thanks for the detailed response. I have found that these gyro discs do perform really well in the wind. Once I get to throw the tangent in some wind maybe I'll start to see the differences. I guess I expected it to be longer than my comet, since every other MVP I have is longer than their traditional counterparts. I just need to find where this disc excels.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Here is where I am intrigued.

My current mid line-up this side of stability is Meteor - Buzzz SS - Roc3. As far as mid shots, I am set. What I am looking for is the gap between putters and mids in regards to precision approaching. Right now I use an Ion for putter driving and solid approaching. Sometimes I also use my Soft Judge for approaching, but I am worried about its durability. I am not going to a higher end Judge because I do not like how those plastic feels.

So, what I am exactly looking for is a disc that has neutral stability without any fade so it is easy to approach from 75-150. I find it easier to power down a mid than power up a putter, less power means less body movement, and therefore greater accuracy. I need a disc that will land flat and will consistently sit down within 15 feet of the basket. My putting is pitiful at best, so getting an upshot under the basket is paramount.

That is why I also use understable mids for my approaches. I can back-off the power on them. At 75 feet or so, I can almost use my putting routine to place it under the basket. However, when I start pushing back out to 150 feet, I like the HSS of a putter, but I want the ease of powering down a mid. This is where the Meteor gets a little unpredictable. The Buzzz SS is okay in this role.

What I am looking for is to see if the Tangent is capable of removing the Ion, Meteor, and Buzzz SS from the bag. It obviously needs to cover all those mid shots, but it needs to be capable of handling the approaching duties I described above. I have the room in my Carolina bag, but I would like to reduce molds as well. I believe in the balance of letting the disc do the work for me as well as knowing a disc well enough where it will do whatever I want of it.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Yes, the Tangent can handle those approach duties in that intermediate window. Very srraight with little fade under low power. It flies, for me, like an easier to range Mako.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Here is where I am intrigued.

My putting is pitiful at best, so getting an upshot under the basket is paramount.
Your putting isn't THAT bad.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2avity View Post
Your putting isn't THAT bad.
You were with me; I missed two 8 footers yesterday.