Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Low hyzer shots

Hi,

A recent, frustrating slump has lead me here. I seem to have lost an ability to throw low, punchy hyzer shots (particularly approaches here), and it's becoming frustrating as I never really used to have an issue per se. However, I want to correct this fundamental flaw.

I don't know whether I'm doing the wrong thing, but rather than holding the disc at a hyzer angle I've been keeping it flat but tilting forwards somewhat at the waist and trying to maintain a plane... Unfortunately, I keep releasing poorly and although I get hyzer, they're quite high arcs and not particularly good in areas with lower tree canopy.

Can anyone give me a few things to focus on?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 1
Where is the disc when you're releasing it, in relation to your waist? If I throw that shot, I'm releasing low so the disc never gets very high off the ground. I release it on a slight hyzer, but will use a more overstable disc for the shot, depending on what I need.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Bogey Member

To be honest, the release is quite high, which is clearly wrong for what I'm after. Usually because this is simply where my arm naturally reaches it's extension at the end of a throw. Perhaps this does just indicate that I'm leaning forward too much for the amount of hyzer required as that'd exaggerate the higher finish.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 104
angle of the disc will change more dramatically when throwing low approach or skip hyzers. If you bring the disc straight across with the edge down at 7/8 0'clock (RHBH) your disc will fly straight, flat and hyzer out. The angle of the disc dictates how it will fly, where your release as well as pulling through low to high will cause the flight to get off line.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
I'd suggest experimenting with different discs, and different stabilities of disc. You just might surprise yourself.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Send a message via AIM to New013
Move your thumb closer to the edge and see if that helps.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
What areas of your game were you working on improving just before you started having the issue? I only ask because I recently began having problems with my forehand. After thinking through it I realized that issues started around the time I started tinkering with my wrist angle on my backhand release. Over time I realized I'm now keeping my wrist too stiff on my forehand release, and been able to work through it. Go back and review any changes you've made and see if they might be the reason you're having issues now.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 17
Sounds like you might be falling back on your release, opening your chest too much and lifting your lead shoulder back and behind you.

I have a tendency to do something similar when I attempt to throw too much disc and try to soften the release too much. Better to use a shorter, stable disc and follow through over your front foot with a clean, effortless release. You'll get that worm burner that just taps the grass every here and there but keeps floating and kicking on its hyzer route.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
What areas of your game were you working on improving just before you started having the issue? I only ask because I recently began having problems with my forehand. After thinking through it I realized that issues started around the time I started tinkering with my wrist angle on my backhand release. Over time I realized I'm now keeping my wrist too stiff on my forehand release, and been able to work through it. Go back and review any changes you've made and see if they might be the reason you're having issues now.
I wasn't really working on any facet really, which is bad really in itself; however, in part, it was due to not playing much due to poor weather recently.

I just want to improve and kick on again

Wake Rider, I think you might be right about the lead shoulder. Will try and rectify that first and foremost in the ways you suggest.