Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post
I think this was a great beginning for the park's youth league. I hope this will grow to where we have the need for more beginner courses. That could push the park department to let us put more beginner courses in town.
Yes! Beginner courses, not longer courses with a set of short tees.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
It was another fun day Saturday. Threesomes helped keep the little kids just under 2 hours for the 18 holes. My daughter was the only girl again at Elon. I think 12-15 kids showed up. It was a little chilly.

Playing with my daughter in the 7-9 division was a 6-year old boy. I don't know if his parents want his name mentioned here, so I won't. This kid is amazing. First hole, 197 ft very slightly downhill. He throws a smooth forehand flick that comes up about 25 short. Misses the putt, but still. 2nd hole he absolutely parks the 162-footer with the same forehand flick. Drop-in deuce. By hole 4, I realize he is throwing lefty forehand for drives, and righty backhand for approaches and putts. What?! Due to some tree trouble and some missed putts, he ended up shooting 66, but that's still ridiculous for a kid that size.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Playing with my daughter in the 7-9 division was a 6-year old boy. I don't know if his parents want his name mentioned here, so I won't. This kid is amazing. First hole, 197 ft very slightly downhill. He throws a smooth forehand flick that comes up about 25 short.
Hmm, WFDF world record for u7 boys is 195 feet. Based on what I saw, this kid would have a legit shot of beating that in an open field.

http://wfdf.org/worldrecords/?r_sec=1
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think I left my water bottle there today if anyone sees it. It was a green water bottle with a faded UNC Charlotte logo.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Years Playing: 3.7
My daughter did her best this past weekend at Reedy Creek. She is really having a great time with this league.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Hmm, WFDF world record for u7 boys is 195 feet. Based on what I saw, this kid would have a legit shot of beating that in an open field.

http://wfdf.org/worldrecords/?r_sec=1
Dang it... how do you get this done? Jordan totally throws farther than that. I wish I had known last year when he was "almost 7." By almost 8 he could out throw the under 8 record. Last time we played glow, I took 5 of his drives (because they were better and parked.) Last fall we played Bradford and he shot 3,2,3 on 13,14,15 Bradford, @ 7 Y/O.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Really, under 1, .96m?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Dang it... how do you get this done? Jordan totally throws farther than that. I wish I had known last year when he was "almost 7." By almost 8 he could out throw the under 8 record. Last time we played glow, I took 5 of his drives (because they were better and parked.) Last fall we played Bradford and he shot 3,2,3 on 13,14,15 Bradford, @ 7 Y/O.
The Wiggins family might be a good resource. As I recall, for some age-group records, WFDF allows you to set up "competition-like" conditions, and they'll count it. I don't know what type of videotape/measuring specs they have. Of course the WFDF would be a good resource to ask as well.

Gracie had another fun week at Youth League. She's going through a swing change (power grip plus earlier reach-back), but she's adapting well. The 6-year old boy in her group shot 63 this week -- that's somewhere around a 675 rating. He crushed a drive up the #3 fairway. And #13. And #14. And #17. I have little doubt he could break the age-group record if given the opportunity.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

This Saturday is the end-of-league "county-wide" tournament for the youth league. Park&Rec is saying there will be a Fall league starting in September, possibly including some parent/child rounds to mix things up. I don't have any numbers, but I think this has probably been a pretty big success for the first run.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
I was in the park and saw Alex doing some work with the kids before they played. What a great sight to have all those youngn's getting lessons and then competing. Kudos to Christian and Alex and others from Chuckers who have helped out, to Innova for their support and to Bryan Joyner from Meck County Park and Rec who inititated this league.