Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: LHBH
Schusterick sidearm -- is that 3-fingers?

Looks like Will using a 3-finger for this sidearm, I can't be sure.

Can anyone confirm his technique, or does anyone else use a 3-finger?

I'm working on my FH but I have a lot to learn and am open to trying anything, and this is new to me.

One day I hope to perfect the 5-finger sidearm

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have no idea but my sidearm is awful it's need a lot if work too
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 130
I throw a lot of FH drives and I use 1 finger only and for me I can direct the disc way better than 2 fingers and could not imagine how anyone could use 3.

Tip: I found when I was researching how to throw FH years ago was to hold onto the disc "like a large dog was trying to take it way from you". Pinch that rim down very firmly between your thumb and index finger. Once I learned that it was ON, my drives had no more flutter and were on line. Of course I had to have to right disc and back years ago the disc I was using was a Discraft Pluse/Flash, then moved up to a Wraith and now I'm bombing the Boss. Also practice standing still with maybe 1/2 step into your FH drives and use as little body movement as possible. Work your way up to more movement to generate power once you feel more comfortable. Good luck and hope these tips help out.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
I also use the "1-finger" grip and find it to be very controllable. I can get better control with that than my buddy who uses 2 fingers, but he can get much, much more distance on his forehands.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 130
I'll take the control over the distance any day

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
I also use the "1-finger" grip and find it to be very controllable. I can get better control with that than my buddy who uses 2 fingers, but he can get much, much more distance on his forehands.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroze View Post
Tip: I found when I was researching how to throw FH years ago was to hold onto the disc "like a large dog was trying to take it way from you". Pinch that rim down very firmly between your thumb and index finger. Once I learned that it was ON, my drives had no more flutter and were on line. Of course I had to have to right disc and back years ago the disc I was using was a Discraft Pluse/Flash, then moved up to a Wraith and now I'm bombing the Boss. Also practice standing still with maybe 1/2 step into your FH drives and use as little body movement as possible. Work your way up to more movement to generate power once you feel more comfortable. Good luck and hope these tips help out.
I'm going to give this a whirl. I've been experimenting with FH for a year and I'm TERRIBLE at it.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 23
It does look like he has his fourth finger on the edge of the rim. I've never tried this myself but I could see the benefit of it. I think it would help maintain that hyzer release as well as forcing the palm to stay facing skyward throughout the release. It looks like it could be useful for a control grip in place of the split-v two finger control grip. It would also help in keeping those last two fingers out of the way at the release point. I'm going to have to try this out sometime.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 18
Looking at that video, it does look weird... like maybe he does have 3 fingers under. Looks like it's a flat grip, with finger pads up against the flight plate not pinched against the rim. That's a strange style... never seen anyone throw like that before.

FWIW, my forehand drives got better when I learned to use the power grip, with 2 fingers pressed hard against the inner rim and using them to push the disc out with snap instead of the fingers up, karate-chop style. Less drag across the top of my fingers that way, as well. But hey.... whatever works.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
I also use 1 finger and don't really like the feel of using 2, let alone 3 fingers.
But hey, whatever works.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 29
A buddy of mine here who has a great fh,used to fh like that. He had both his index and middle finger on the inside of the rim and the ring finger would lay flat on the wing of the disc. He had very controlled shots with good distance too. He has since taken his ring finger off of the wing and just uses the standard two finger stack. He still has some control but has gained distance.

For a while i used to use a 3 finger grip on approaches etc but ive since gone to a two finger again for everything.