Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Stopping the elbow

I have read a little about this but cant seem to find a thread detailing it specifically. Can anyone describe it better and what I should be doing?

Could this be why I have maxed out around 360 ish? I am hoping for some good feed back and be able to throw my wraiths closer to 420
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Par Member

Check out this video of Dan Beato. Here.

It helped me get out into the 400s.

Last edited by Rhynos4life; 02-22-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Couldn't get youtube link working.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Have a normal elbow installed. End it straight in line with the shoulders and your intended direction.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Birdie Member

Yea I've watched it before. Thanks for the link. Does anyone have any ideas/ thoughts on "stopping the elbow"?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Yep. The throw is not much different than the 1" punch. All the throw really needs is for the hand to move lightening fast for about an 1". I think stopping is not the best word to describe it though. It's more about slowing and redirection to unleash your top hand speed. You are loading/building levers into the hit, hips, shoulders, elbow, wrist.

How do you get your hand moving as fast as possible? If the elbow keeps moving forward the hand will never go faster than the elbow and so the elbow would the end of your whip instead of the fingers. A shorter whip is not desirable considering the hip multiplier. If your elbow stops moving forward, it releases the lower arm/hand lever. If you slow your elbow moving forward it still will release the lower arm as it has built up momentum(assuming decent mechanics). If you redirect your elbow to the side your lower arm will continue being whipped forward until it reaches maximum extension. That is the passive release of levers which maybe easier to understand or feel, and also maybe more dangerous for hyperextension reason and why I don't like the word stop. Full hitting is assisting that lower arm motion/release to punch as fast and powerful as can be through the hit apex/target/board before reaching maximum extension. Thinking of a karate chop may help(ie elbow chop). Karate chop through the board, not at the board and your elbow has to stop/slow/extend to allow the hand to deliver the blow, and you wouldn't want your elbow to be locked of extended fully before hitting the board.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Birdie Member

thanks that helps. I throw about 360-370 ( endzone to endzone on a football field) with my destroyers, wraiths nukes, but I feel like i could throw much farther. I think it may be something with my follow through or this stopping of the elbow that i am not doing correctly.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
You are essentially strong arming. Followthrough is the tuning fork of your form and it should just happen effortlessly. Funky followthrough is an indicator of something amiss before the hit. So you should be looking at what happens before followthrough and making changes before it.

Learn to throw your putters and mids for distance. I'll bet your issue of elbow stop is related from the ground up and you are trying to shift your weight from in front of you instead of behind you. The shoulders have to stop/pause in order for the elbow to stop or slow. In order for the shoulders to stop/pause the hips must stop/pause. In order for the hips to stop/pause you must be braced on the plant foot/leg. I prefer to think of all this as being braced for the hit.

Read/watch the links and vids in these threads:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=51164
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...p?f=17&t=24009
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

I have been throwing my buzzz and challengers more with better control, i throw my mids about 300 and putters about 250....however i have plateaued with drivers. I feel that I am accelerating late in the pull, like I should , maybe I should make a video to post for critiquing.

I just want to throw over 400, damnit.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrihan View Post
I have been throwing my buzzz and challengers more with better control, i throw my mids about 300 and putters about 250....however i have plateaued with drivers. I feel that I am accelerating late in the pull, like I should , maybe I should make a video to post for critiquing.

I just want to throw over 400, damnit.
With those putter and mid numbers you probably can throw over 400', you just haven't found the right line yet. Working on distance lines will probably be easier with a workable driver than a high speed driver, FWIW.

If you want over 400' of golf D you'll have to work on throwing all of your discs farther and will have to work on "hitting it" (aka "Snap").

Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 66
Here's a recent video of Dan throwing where you can see his reach back and elbow mechanics before the hit. These look like 50% power throws but most of his drives are going 350'-400' feet in January, driving off snow, and they're almost all parked exactly where you'd want your shots to be on this course.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

It's a tricky timing move, and SW22 explained it pretty well, especially if you take the time to follow the links. I'll add my 2 cents as well. Instead of focusing on where your elbow is, you really need to address where the disc is in relation to your center of gravity during your throw and before going into the hit. A big part of the reason that bent elbow technique works so well is that it allows a person to get the disc up into the power zone, ahead of your center of gravity, so when you open your hips and shoulders and chop your elbow, you have the full force of your core twisting and weight shifting to launch the disc out.

That being said, you still need to focus on wrist tension and getting good snap and pounding the **** out of the metaphorical hammer, or all the correct body positions in the world won't matter.