Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 106
i will get some pics from munden point, he have red teepads.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Courses Played: 1
Keep all this great advice coming it is appreciated!

So we know we are not going to use any sealers on the concrete to avoid slick surfaces. We are going to be using a powder dye that can either be mixed in the truck so that the concrete is colored all the way through or we are going to sprinkle it on top and float it in. We have experienced hands working on this particular stage of the course. Below is a picture of the 2 different colors that we are thinking of using to correspond with the colors of our tees.. we poured and finished these small test pads by floating in the dry powder dye (obviously the more dye I used the darker the color turned out).
The only problem we can see with this is that it is hard to get the powder dye to sink very far into the concrete, as several of you have stated above. So do you all think it would be better to have it mixed all the way through the concrete to avoid quick wearing and fading of the colors? Also we are trying to keep the colors somewhat earth tone, do you like the colors we have?IMG_20130221_164718.jpg

IMG_20130221_164726.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Courses Played: 1
thanks jkdisc
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

nvm. too tough to see
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Those look pretty similar, if they weren't next to each other on the course I don't think you'd be able to tell any difference.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 729
We used the powder on ours and a stamp that made the pads look like stone. The powder did not really set in on half of them and the experiment would be called a failure in my book. (I noticed earlier in this thread that someone mentioned working the pigment into the crete during finishing, and this was not done on our project; but, was rather just put down and then stamped with weight on the stamps to push into the crete...) Painting a line or something on tees shows up much better than that method and can be painted over, if new tees are added; at some later point. It was a worthwhile experiment, but, again, I would call it a failure, the way we did it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 1149
How about you dye a map of the hole onto the pad. That would be BA
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
How about you dye a map of the hole onto the pad. That would be BA
brilliant! tee pad and tee sign in 1!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
We used the powder on ours and a stamp that made the pads look like stone. The powder did not really set in on half of them and the experiment would be called a failure in my book. (I noticed earlier in this thread that someone mentioned working the pigment into the crete during finishing, and this was not done on our project; but, was rather just put down and then stamped with weight on the stamps to push into the crete...) Painting a line or something on tees shows up much better than that method and can be painted over, if new tees are added; at some later point. It was a worthwhile experiment, but, again, I would call it a failure, the way we did it.
What you did was basically use the color as a dry release agent which is SOP. When you stamp, normally, you use two colors..one for a base that gets worked in at least two times, preferably three and one as a release (that is nothing more than a surface dusting) that does two things....adds accent color to the base and allows you to pull the stamps off the surface without tearing it up. If all you got was small streaks of color, that was all you were supposed to get. I can imaging the results were less than stellar without a base color.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 104
a lot of these dyes are for designer quality products like flooring and artwork which work great but seem a little over the top for a DG tee... honestly you can add coloring a lot of ways to the concrete without getting too crazy... we colored concrete with food coloring and water for a patio this summer' Also crayon wax is nearly impossible to remove from any stone and is very weather resistant which we use to mark exterior block etc.